Cuba Sailing Adventure
Spend eight unforgettable days sailing through the island paradise of Cuba. After being captivated by the time capsule that is Havana, venture offshore on a yacht for a Cuban encounter few people get to experience. Take in an array of natural wonders and get up-close to marine- and wild-life while sailing from Cienfuegos around the islands of Cayo Guano, Cayo Largo, Cayo Cantiles and many more. Uncover heavenly, untouched islands, swim in crystal-clear waters, snorkel over stunning reefs and spend days soaking up the chilled out vibe of irresistible Cuba. Find out why this vivacious country, so blessed with natural beauty and an abundance of cultural delights, is one of our favourite destinations.
Travel Dates: From 25/11/2017 to 20/05/2018
Duration: 9 days
Departing From: Havana
- Old-world charm, rich history, exciting nightlife – evocative Havana is like nowhere else on earth
- Wander the cobbled laneways of Habana Viejo or head to Vedado for a taste of the world-famous Copellia ice cream
Beaches don't get much better than this
- The islands of the Canarreos Archipelago offer miles of pristine white sands and sparkling turquoise reefs to explore
The underwater world of Cayeria Los Majaes is a snorkeller's dream, thanks to its warm, shallow pools that you could bask in for hours
From lobsters and loggerhead turtles to iguanas and monkeys, this trip spans the most eclectic spread of sea life and wildlife
- Not to mention those odd Carribean creatures, the jutias
This being a true sailing trip, there's plenty of leisure time
- When you're not soaking up your idyllic surrounds on deck, you can while away evenings in beachside restaurants feasting on delicious Cuban cuisine
The beauty of sailing is that each day is unique and, while we have a destination to reach, if the weather changes or something takes the group’s fancy, we can be flexible on the day's itinerary
Breakfasts Included: 8
Lunches Included: 6
Dinners Included: 6
Guesthouse (1 nt),Overnight boat (7 nts)
Age: min 15
Group Size: 1 - 8
Day 1: Havana
Bienvenido! Welcome to Cuba. Your trip begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm. A local representative will brief you on what to expect over the course of the trip. After the briefing there is the option to join the group for dinner and an orientation walk. For the first night of your sailing adventure you will be staying at a local family-run guesthouse. Depending on numbers, the group may be split across two guesthouses which are located close to each other. The main guesthouse will be the central meeting point. If you arrive early and have free time, be sure to check out Habana Viejo (Old Havana) and its wonderful architecture. There are plenty of good museums to check out too, like the Museo de la Revolucion and the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes. Sports fans can go to a baseball game between October and May for a taste of Cuba's number-one ball game. Lining up for a famous Copellia ice cream is also well worth it.
Day 2: Cienfuegos
Rise early and head off to Cienfuegos to begin your sailing adventure. After breakfast with your homestay family, your local representative will meet you and transfer you to the main bus station for the 8.20 am bus to Cienfuegos. The journey (approximately 5 hours) includes a 30-minute stop at ‘Finca Fiesta Campesina’ (Fiesta Country Farm) at Jaguey Grande for refreshments and some nice photo opportunities. You will be accompanied for the bus journey, then meet your skipper at the station in Cienfuegos (look out for the Intrepid sign). Cienfeugos will be your last chance to stock up on a few things, perhaps white rum, sugar, yerba buena, limes and club soda (better known as the ingredients for a Mojito) before setting sail for the Canarreos Archipelago. Cienfuegos is the only Cuban city that was founded by the French, resulting in a beautifully designed and distinctly different Cuban city. You'll still feel a strong Caribbean vibe here though. Tonight you'll set sail again after dinner in order to wake up surrounded by turquoise waters, ready for your morning snorkel. Note: The beauty of sailing is that each day is unique and, while we have a destination to reach, if the weather changes or something takes the group’s fancy, we are flexible on the day's itinerary. The itinerary is subject to change and may vary depending on weather and berth availability. Your skipper will make the final call to ensure your safety at all times.
Day 3-7: Canarreos Archipelago
Spend the next five days sailing the idyllic islands of Cuba, which are set among the beauty of the Caribbean Sea. Discover hidden beaches with untouched sands, clear blue waters and, if you're lucky, a turtle or two. By day, relax and chill out on the deck of the yacht, taking in the glorious Carribean surrounds; by night, enjoy island-style barbeques and unwind with new friends beneath the stars. Some of the spots you might visit over the coming days are: Cayo Largo del Sur The second-largest of the islands in the Canarreos Archipelago, home to some of the best beaches in the region. One stretch of beach is 13 km of the cleanest, whitest sand. The island is also home to nesting sites of loggerhead and green turtles. For those that way inclined, nudism is tolerated on certain beaches. Cayeria los Majaes A small group of beautiful islands with surrounding sand banks and shallow pools, excellent for snorkelling. The pools are less than half a metre deep, and with a sea temperature of around 30°C they are perfect for lazing around in. Look out for a large colony of iguanas on the eastern shore of the western pool. Cayo Alcatraz Pristine beaches of white sand where you can spot stingrays and manta rays. If you are not fond of snorkelling in deeper waters, you will find these more shallow waters a dream. Cayo Rico Arguably the perfect beach, with brilliant waters, soft white sand and a bar that serves up a range of cocktails. There are many umbrellas under which to enjoy a drink. There are also friendly resident iguanas here. Cayo Estopa An uninhabited island with a deep water channel. This is the perfect place to throw out a line and catch the night's dinner. Cayo Rossario Also uninhabited by people, this island teems with sea life – moray eels, groupers, barracudas, lobsters and the odd reef shark to name a few. The nearby reef is great for snorkelling. Cayo Cantiles Known as 'Monkey Island', Cayo Cantiles is uninhabited, with the exception of a small number of workers who tend to a monkey sanctuary. This island too is home to iguanas, and a funny rodent-like animal called a jutia.
Day 8: Canarreos Archipelago - Cienfuegos
Your adventure comes to an end today as you sail back to Cienfuegos. Tonight there's the option of heading to a local restaurant for one last dinner with your fellow travellers. You might also like to check out the live music scene later, or take to a dancefloor for some salsa.
Day 9: Cienfuegos - Havana
It's with heavy hearts we enjoy one final breakfast together on board the yacht before it's time to say goodbye to life at sea and head back to Havana. The Skipper will organise transfers back to the bus station where you will board your bus (unaccompanied) back to Havana. The bus departs at 10.30 and you should be back in Havana at approx 3.30pm. The trip finishes on arrival in central Cuba at the NH Parque Hotel. Post tour accommodation can be booked at the homestay which is about a 4 minute walk from the drop off point. If you are planning on flying out on the last day please do not book a flight out before 8pm to take into account any delays that may occur. If you wish to book additional nights in Havana pre or post tour, or stay on in Cienfuegos please let us know at the time of booking so we can make the appropriate arrangements. Adiós y esperamos verte de nuevo.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 29 November 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..