Argentina & Brazil Adventure
Get an invigorating taste of South America’s south on a trip that takes you from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro. Let the sounds of samba wash over you and get swept up in the infectious energy of the locals. Stroll white-sand beaches in Rio, rummage through antique fairs in Buenos Aires and sample delicious culinary specialties wherever you go. In between these two vibrant cities, become immersed in spectacular wilderness - from the sprawling wetlands of Ibera to the astonishing Iguazu Falls, there’s a trove of natural beauty waiting for you.
Travel Dates: From 26/10/2019 to 27/12/2021
Duration: 10 days
Departing From: Buenos
- Discover Buenos Aires, Argentina's sultry and sensual capital
- Tour its best sights, then explore its many corners at your leisure, from the star-studded Recoleta cemetery to the tucked-away milongas (tango halls)
Explore the lush landscapes of the Ibera Wetlands in search of anacondas, otters, howler monkeys and a vast array of colourful birds
With included visits to Iguazu Falls from both the Argentinian and Brazilian sides, you'll get the most out of this jaw-dropping natural wonder
Finish in Rio de Janeiro, where you're free to stroll the sands of Copacabana, soar across town on the Sugarloaf Cable Car or delve into the city's pulsing nightlife
Breakfasts Included: 9
Lunches Included: 1
Hotel (9 nights)
Plane,Local bus,Private vehicle
Age: min 15
Group Size: 1 - 12
Buenos Aires - Orientation walk
Ibera Wetlands - Day tour
Iguazu Falls - Entrance & tour of the Brazilian side of the falls
Iguazu Falls - Entrance & tour of the Argentinian side of the falls
Iguazu Falls - Guarani community visit
Rio de Janeiro - City tour (Christ the Redeemer, Selaron Steps & local farmers market)
Day 1: Buenos Aires
Bienvenido! Welcome to Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires is the ultimate cosmopolitan city, with Latin passion, European elegance and its own distinctive style. Your adventure begins with an important welcome meeting at 6pm. Your leader will leave a note at the hotel reception telling you where this important meeting will take place. If you arrive early, why not visit San Telmo and its weekend antiques market and artists' displays – it's a great chance to acquaint yourself with some portenos (local residents). Alternatively, visit Recoleta (the grand cemetery) or perhaps Casa Rosada (the Pink House).
Day 2: Buenos Aires
Enjoy some breakfast, then embark on an orientation walk through this fantastic city. You'll be introduced to some of Buenos Aires' major sights – the likes of the Colon Theatre, the Obelisc and Plaza de Mayo. Along the way, learn a little more about Argentina's independence from Spain.
Day 3: Ituzaingo
This morning catch a short flight to Posadas, followed by a drive to Ituzaingo (approximately 1 hour). Ituizangó will serve as your base to explore the beautiful Ibera Wetlands region in the north of Argentina. Spanning more than 15,000 square kilometres, the Ibera wetlands are roughly the size of Belgium, which gives you an idea of how much there is to explore. The biodiversity in incredible, and the swamps, lakes and lagoons are home to such creatures as otters, alligators, deer, wolves and black howler monkeys, just to name a few. Keep a look out too for those oddly noble-looking creatures, the capybaras. These cousins of guinea pigs are the largest rodents in the world.
Day 4: Ibera Wetlands/Ituizangó
Take part on a full day (approximately 8-10 hour) walking tour and car safari with a guide, tasty lunch and plenty of snacks. You might see any number of obscure species – maybe caiman or swamp deer, perhaps even an armadillo, or a flock of rhea (which are like a South American equivalent of an emu). Anacondas, though particularly hard to spot at certain times of the year, are also known to inhabit these wetlands. Keep an eye to the sky, as you're bound to catch a glimpse of some of the 350 bird species here, from the sharp-tailed tyrant to the gorgeous and garish yellow robin.
Day 5: Foz do Iguazu
Enjoy some breakfast and prepare for a long travel day. From Ituizangó take a comfortable local bus to Puerto Iguazu (approximately 5 hours). As soon as you arrive at Puerto Iguazu bus station, you will take a minivan across the border into Brazil and continue to your hotel in Foz do Iguazu (approximately one hour, depending on traffic at the Argentina–Brazil border).
Day 6: Iguazu Falls
Here at Iguazu, you'll visit the mighty waterfalls from both the Brazilian and Argentinian sides. At over 2 kilometres long, Iguazu Falls are actually a series of cataracts. There are over 270 falls in all, and with some reaching up to 80 metres in height, they are wider than Victoria Falls and higher than Niagara. Enjoy the magnificent panoramas on the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls. Seeing the falls from this side has its perks, such as a view of San Martin Island which you don't quite get from the Argentinean side. You might like to take a helicopter ride over the falls while you're here. This optional excursion gives you spectacular views of the falls and the lush green parklands that surround it.
Day 7: Iguazu Falls
Today we go to the Argentinean side of the Falls where it’s possible to follow a series of boardwalks to get up close to the thundering waters – so close you can almost touch them. Later, visit a Guarani community for the rare opportunity to meet some of the region’s few remaining indigenous people.
Day 8: Rio de Janeiro
Travel by plane to Rio de Janeiro, the festive heart of Brazil. Settle into your hotel and then set out on an orientation walk with your leader. Rio is a fascinating and diverse city best known for its contrasting images of favelas (shanty towns) and the glitz and glamour of Carnaval. With free time, you can choose from many optional activities. Perhaps head to a football game, take a cable car ride between Praia Vermelha and the Sugarloaf Mountain for incredible views over town. For further options, chat to your leader.
Day 9: Rio de Janeiro
The morning is free, so feel free to wander around and discover Rio before meeting the group for an afternoon tour that takes in Christ the Redeemer, Santa Teresa and the Selaron Steps.
Day 10: Rio de Janeiro
There are no activities planned for the final day and you are able to depart the accommodation at any time.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 October 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..