Lost City Trek(Twin Room,Start Santa Marta, End Santa Marta)
On the hunt for the adventure of a lifetime? Ciudad Perdida (literally 'Lost City') disappeared into the jungle around the time of the Spanish Conquest and was only 'discovered' again in the 1970s. Deep in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta mountains, it remains accessible only by foot. You'll trek across snaking rivers and alongside waterfalls for five days as you make your way to the ancient archaeological site, founded by the Tayrona in the 9th century. This outdoor adventure can be tough — you'll walk up to several hours each day — but worth it for the feeling you get as the lost city emerges from the mountain foliage.
Travel Dates: From 08/02/2020 to 16/12/2020
Duration: 5 days
You'll be fully fuelled for your journey, starting with included lunch and dinner on your first day, then included breakfast, lunch and dinner for every following day of your trek, plus breakfast and lunch on your final day
An expert Local Guide to navigate the trail
- Porters to take care of carrying the essentials
- This is your team
- Trusted Contiki partners who are specialised, smart, friendly, fun, and integral to your adventure
Santa Marta to 1st Camp via Mamey
Your unforgettable adventure begins today with a morning pickup from your Santa Marta hotel and a 3-hour journey by 4-wheel-drive vehicle to the small town of El Mamey, where you’ll stop for lunch at a local restaurant serving delicious & authentic Colombian food.Arriving at our first camp, we'll relax and recharge, surrounded by lush forestland and rushing rivers, as we get set for the first leg of our spellbinding trek.
1st Camp to 2nd Camp
This morning we'll fill up with a hearty breakfast before departing for the gruelling but rewarding 4.5-hour trek to the 2nd camp. Along the way, we'll stop at the native community of Mutanyi, where you’ll meet members of the Kogi (or Cogui) indigenous group to learn about their fascinating tribe and rich traditions.When you reach the 2nd camp, you’ll have lunch and downtime to swim in the Buritaca River and kick back. Later, we'll swap stories over dinner before a much-deserved sleep.
2nd Camp to 3rd Camp
This morning, we'll trek four hours to the 3rd camp, crossing the snaking river several times and admiring the incredibly varied landscape as we journey deeper into the jungle and pass a few village communities along the way.When we arrive at the 3rd camp, we'll have lunch and relax. During the afternoon and evening we'll put our feet up and soak in the sights and sounds of this awe-inspiring medley of mountain passes and thicketed jungle.
2nd camp & the Lost City
Today, after another much needed breakfast, we'll leave camp at 6am for the headline event: the ancient city of Ciudad Perdida, which you’ll reach around 9am and enter by climbing its 1,200(!) stone stairs.You’ll have about three hours to explore the ancient city, set in the dense jungle. Archaeologists believe it was founded around 800 AD by the Tayrona culture, (much older than Machu Picchu), but it remains shrouded in much mystery and speculation.In the afternoon, we'll trek for 2.5 hours back to the 2nd camp, where you’ll have dinner, still buzzing from what we've experienced today.
2nd Camp to Santa Marta via Mamey
Today, after breakfast, we'll walk for seven hours back to El Mamey, where we'll have a delicious regional lunch. Our guides will then drive us back to Santa Marta where our adventure began.We'll arrive mid-afternoon, exhausted, elated and eternally changed. This is the end of our Lost City Trek, but the experience will surely stay with us forever.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 September 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..