COSTA RICA ESCAPE WITH TORTUGUERO
Forget the big city crowds and high prices—now is your time to vacation in Costa Rica! With its abundant wildlife and splendid beauty, it’s no wonder Costa Rica is synonymous with pura vida—the good life. On this Costa Rica tour, you’ll spend two nights each in San José, Monteverde, and Arenal.
The verdant cloud forest of Monteverde is one of the most bio-diverse areas on the planet. Here, search for wildlife as you explore Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve—home to jaguars, resplendent quetzals, pumas, monkeys, sloths, ocelots, many species of birds, and a large diversity of plant species—with an expert Naturalist. In Arenal, located in the shadow of Arenal Volcano (considered one of the world’s most active volcanoes), visit the Arenal Hanging Bridges. Made up of 15 bridges suspended in the treetops, you’ll see the flora and fauna from a different perspective. Be sure to have your camera ready for when your Naturalist points out monkeys, sloths, butterflies, birds, and other animals commonly seen here.
All of this and more—plus an amazing value—await you on this fantastic Costa Rica tour!
Destination: Costa Rica
Travel Dates: From 23/10/2019 to 22/11/2019
- Default highlight
Breakfasts Included: 9
Lunches Included: 2
Dinners Included: 2
1 ARRIVE IN SAN JOSÉ, COSTA RICA.
Arrive in San José where you will be met by a Globus representative.
2 SAN JOSÉ-TORTUGUERO NATIONAL PARK.
This morning, depart San José for the Caribbean shores, where you'll find Tortuguero National Park, a must-see when visiting Costa Rica! After a drive to the east coast, embark on a CRUISE which takes you to the bio-diverse rainforest of TORTUGUERO NATIONAL PARK. Your expert Naturalist will accompany you and point out the many species that can be found in this area including white-faced capuchin, howler, spider monkeys, toucans, macaws, tapirs, ocelot, manatees, and even jaguars! The area is also famous for the five species of turtles that repeatedly come her each year to lay their eggs. Upon arrival at the lodge, enjoy a welcome drink and briefing before some time to explore prior to dinner this evening. (B,L,D)
3 TORTUGUERO NATIONAL PARK.
This morning, take a Naturalist-guided CRUISE of the remote yet extensive Tortuguero canals famous for its abundant wildlife. Your eagle-eye guide will help you spot some of the fauna that call this region home which includes more than 125 species of mammals, 124 species of reptiles, and over 375 species of birds. Return to the lodge for a NATURE WALK into the rainforest led by your guide who explains the flora commonly found here and its uses. This afternoon, visit the small town of Tortuguero consisting of a few shops and restaurants, no cars, and dirt roads. Here, visit the SEA TURTLE CONSERVANCY MUSEUM and learn about the various endangered sea turtles that come here annually to nest and lay their eggs. This area was declared a National Park in 1975 to protect these turtles and today Tortuguero is home to the largest green turtle rookery in North America. Other turtles found here include the Hawksbill, Leatherback, Loggerhead, and Olive Ridley. If you are lucky, you may be able to observe some of these turtles nesting on the beach during an optional night walk on the beach. (B,L,D)
4 TORTUGUERO NATIONAL PARK-GUAPILES-SAN JOSÉ.
A morning boat transfer begins your journey to the Guapiles area. Next, continue to San José for the night. (B)
5 SAN JOSÉ-MONTEVERDE.
This morning, depart San José for the cloud forest of Monteverde. Situated on the continental divide under a misty cloud coverage, Monteverde is one of the most bio-diverse areas on the planet. Exploring the trails here reveals green habitats teeming with life. Over 3,000 species of plants, 400 species of birds, 60 species of bats, 1,200 species of amphibians and 700 species of butterflies - to name a few - call this area home. It is also one of the last remaining places in the world that is home to all six species of cats: ocelots, jaguars, jaguarundi, pumas, oncillas, and marguays. If you are lucky, this is also a great spot to catch a glimpse of one of Costa Rica's most beautiful birds, the resplendent quetzal. (B)
Today, visit SANTA ELENA CLOUD FOREST RESERVE during a Naturalist-guided walking tour. Established in 1989, the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve comprises an area of 765 acres, and is home to forest fauna such as sloths, jaguars, ocelots, monkeys, coatis, and numerous species of birds. With almost 100% humidity throughout the year, the cloud forest experiences almost 12 feet of rain per year. This afternoon, you may wish to explore this verdant area further or perhaps head into town or venture into the rainforest canopy for a bird's eye view of the region. (B)
Depart Monteverde for the must-see town of Arenal located in the shadow of Arenal Volcano. Currently, Arenal Volcano is in a resting phase but prior to 2010 the volcano was known for its consistent lava flows and gas emissions. Arenal is home to cascading waterfalls, thriving rainforests, abundant wildlife, and a plethora of outdoor activities. After settling in, experience the magic of the resort's pool and Jacuzzis or consider a walk along the nearby nature trails in search of 300- to 400-year-old trees, colourful frogs, monkeys, birds, and possibly small animals native to the area. (B)
Today will be spent exploring ARENAL NATIONAL PARK and its vast primary rainforest, and learning about its rich biodiversity. Venture into the jungle canopy on the ARENAL HANGING BRIDGES, which consist of 15 bridges suspended in the treetops and allows your Naturalist to point out various species of plants, birds, butterflies, monkeys, sloths, and other animals commonly found here. On a clear day, you will get a 360-degree view of the tropical rainforest, as well as stunning views of Arenal Volcano. This afternoon is free to explore at your leisure. Tonight, perhaps take an optional tour to the world-famous Tabacón Hot Springs. These natural hot springs are the result of rainwater heated by magma in the Earth's interior that then rises to the surface, taking with it minerals found in the Earth's crust. Enjoy time to relax in the waters that are so beneficial to your skin and body. (B)
9 ARENAL-SARCHI-SAN JOSÉ.
En route to San José, visit SARCHI Village, known as the centre of Costa Rican handicrafts and where you'll see the artists in their workshops making the famous ox carts. Enjoy time here for lunch before continuing to San José for a short city ORIENTATION to see the historic National Theater, the Metropolitan Cathedral, and other sites in downtown San José. (B)
10 SAN JOSÉ.
Your tour ends with breakfast this morning. (B)
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 October 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..