San Jose Stopover
Take four days to find the true Costa Rica on a city escapade in sultry San Jose. Savour a stopover in the country’s capital by discovering the historical neighbourhoods and markets jammed with local treasures and colourful characters. See more of the area by whizzing through the mountains by train to sleepy Cartago and exploring its colonial streets by bike. Let San Jose surprise you with its cultural richness and culinary flair as you get a local look around town.
Destination: Costa Rica
Travel Dates: From 20/10/2019 to 23/12/2021
Duration: 4 days
Call 0800 24 35 44 and
quote deal number 4376146
- See San Jose the local way with time to get under the skin of this Costa Rican centre
- With the best bits organised and plenty of time to explore by yourself, you’ll get to know the real San Jose
Wander through San Jose’s massive Central Market, tasting exotic fruits and learning the secrets behind a proper cup of Costa Rican coffee with your expert local guide
Get active with an included short hike up the hills of San Jose, a train ride on the Atlantic Railroad and a guided bike ride through the laidback beauty of Cartago
Breakfasts Included: 3
Hotel (3 nights)
Age: min 15
Group Size: 1 - 12
San Jose - San Jose Bites and Sights Tour - Urban Adventures
San Jose - Cartago Bike & Train Tour - Urban Adventures
Day 1: San Jose
Hola and welcome to Costa Rica! A welcome pack will be waiting at the hotel including all the information you need for your tour. With over half the country's population living within its parameters, San Jose is a bustling capital city with lively markets, intriguing museums and a dynamic atmosphere. A good place to start exploring is the main plaza – ideal for some people watching. Artisanal booths are common here and you never know when there'll be a spontaneous art fair. If there's time, perhaps have a look at the Gold Museum and see its amazing collection of indigenous gold art, or head to the outdoor markets at Plaza de la Cultura and Central Market, where you can buy anything from handicrafts to seafood.
Day 2: San Jose
Rise early and meet your local leader at the Borbons Market for a food tour. There’s no better place to experience local cuisine and the colourful characters that sell it than at some of San Jose’s bustling marketplaces, full to the brim with traditional and fresh Costa Rican food and drink. Here you can sample local delicacies, learn about the herbs used in local medicines, and hear about the unique chorreado coffee brewing method while sipping on your second (or even third!) coffee of the day. Your expert local guide will take you past different stalls, tasting as you go, so you can better understand the coffee and food culture of Costa Rica and unearth all the secrets hidden in the markets. Who knows – you may even have the opportunity to test out the local lingo!
Day 3: San Jose
Get ready for another early start, this time meeting another local leader near Espana Park. There’s a lot of ground to cover today so the group will be meeting at 7 am sharp. Grab a cup of coffee and then take a 10-minute hike into the hills of San Jose, arriving at the Atlantic Railroad, where you’ll hop on a train. This scenic 45-minute journey travels past the San Jose University campus, through coffee plantations and deeper into the mountains. At the end of the journey lies beautiful Cartago – a historic town where many of the locals still get around by bike, and what you’ll be doing too! Saddle up and then cycle the streets, stopping to visit the key sites with your leader. Pull up at the Cartago Central Market for another round of delicious local food before catching a local bus back to San Jose. The rest of the afternoon is yours to explore. Perhaps freshen up and get back out into San Jose this evening with dinner in the trendy Barrio Amon.
Day 4: San Jose
With no activities planned for today, you are free to leave the accommodation at any time, provided you comply with the hotel’s internal check-out times.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 22 October 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..