Ecuador Amazon Wilderness- 4d (Sacha Lodge)
Discover the secrets of the Ecuadorian Amazon on this breathtaking tour into the heart of the jungle. Meet indigenous families to learn the jungle’s cultural traditions, and take guided walks to discover the abundant plant and animal life that call this part of the Amazon home. Awake to the exotic sound of birdcalls and discover the thrill of sleeping in this secluded spot deep in the Ecuadorian jungle.
Travel Dates: From 24/09/2019 to 03/01/2021
Duration: 4 days
Departing From: Quito
- This trip takes you to the heart of Ecuador's Amazon Basin
- Set in the remote rainforest, Sacha Lodge is a haven for nature lovers, birdwatchers, scientists and adventure seekers
Caiman, otters, sloths, hoatzin, monkeys, capybaras, anacondas
- the Amazon is home to some of the most diverse wildlife on Earth
As well as comfortable accommodation and luxurious meals, your expert guides will enhance your experience with their unique knowledge of the Amazon
Explore the rainforest on various jungle treks, canopy walks and dugout canoe safaris, or relax in a hammock at the lodge
- It's up to you to customise how active you'd like this trip to be
Breakfasts Included: 3
Lunches Included: 3
Dinners Included: 3
Jungle Lodge (3 nts)
Age: min 5
Group Size: 1 - 4
Daily Amazon jungle activities lead by an English speaking local guide
Day 1: Quito / Amazon Jungle
Welcome to Quito, Ecuador. The joining point for this trip is the Quito hotel of your choice. Please ensure you give your booking agent the details of your hotel at least 15 days prior to this trip's starting date. Alternatively, we can also assist you to book additional accommodation in Quito if needed. The evening before this trip starts, you'll be met at your hotel by your Intrepid representative by 6 pm. Your Intrepid representative will provide you with vouchers and extra information that you'll need for the next four days. If you arrive after 6 pm, this information will be left in an envelope at the hotel's front desk. If you have any questions in this regard, please contact the emergency number provided in the Essential Trip Information. At 7 am on Day 1 of this trip, you'll be met by your transfer driver in the lobby of your hotel, who will then drive you to the airport. The flight over the Andes to the river port town of Puerto Francisco de Orellana, (or Coca) will take approximately 45 minutes. Here, a local guide will meet you and transfer you to the town docks, where a covered motorized canoe will take you on a two-hour journey down the Napo River to the Sacha Lodge (or alternative Napo Lodge - refer to "Other Information" for more details). The Napo River is the largest river in Ecuadorian Amazonia and as you cruise along the water it is easy to spot a number of shore birds including herons, kingfishers, spoonbills and ospreys. Upon arrival at Sacha Lodge’s 2000-hectare private reserve, you will walk along a raised boardwalk (approx 30 minutes) through dense forest to Pilchicocha Lake, where dugout canoes await to take you to the lodge. We arrive at Sacha lodge in the afternoon around 4pm. It is not unusual to see several species of monkeys and tropical birds along the way, including the ancient looking Hoatzin! The Hoatzin, one of the strangest living birds, is considered by many as a link with the first known bird, Archaeopteryx, that became extinct millions of years ago. There is time this afternoon to take a walk, or swim, or to explore the surrounding jungle and its wildlife. After dinner tonight you may want to accompany your naturlaist guide into the jungle for a night walk or perhaps a canoe ride on the lake to view the spectacled and black caimans with their glowing orange eyes as you silently paddle across the lake to get a closer view.
Day 2: Amazon Jungle Lodge
Begin morning activity between 6:00 and 7:00.Begin walking on trail Liana Chica and arrive at the canopy walk, for spectacular views of the rainforest canopy and the many different species of vibrantly colored birds. Designed to be a self-standing rigid suspension canopy walk, it is one of only a few in the world! Located within Sacha´s private reserve, 2 miles from the shores of the Rio Napo and 1 mile from the lodge, the bird walk gives guests the opportunity to get an up close and personal view of the rainforest canopy.Two of the three towers have observation decks every 12 meters making towers accessible for everyone. The canopy walkway is at 36 meters high and 275 meters long, giving guests a “birds eye view” of all the wonders and beauty the tropical rainforest has to offer.The canopy walk is designed as a sturdy walkway enabling guests to casually move along while enjoying the spectacular views. After the canopy walk, Liana Grande through terra firma and igapo forest habitats where native guides will explain many different species of medicinal plants that have been being used in their culture for hundreds of years. Liana Grande will turn into the trail Higueron, which will take you through pristine primary forest with huge Kapok and Fig trees towering hundreds of feet above your head. After lunch, you may choose to take a leisurely hike along the Rio Napo, or choose a little more challenging hike on the trail Leoncillo to try and spot the elusive dusky titi monkey. Either way the trails will lead you back to the main boardwalk for your final hike and canoe ride back to the lodge.
Day 3: Amazon Jungle Lodge
Leaving the lodge after breakfast, you begin your hike on trail Lagartococha. This trail offers you the chance to learn more about the native people and their relationship with the forest. Learn about the trees where native people believe the spirits of their ancestors live, and the mysterious “dwende” or devil-man of the forest. After arriving at lake Lagartococha, take a tranquil canoe ride through a natural swamp, which is the home of anacondas, caimans, and capybaras. After the canoe ride, a walk on the other side of Largatococha may give you the opportunity to spot capuchin or squirrel monkeys playfully jumping through the trees. Return from the walk or canoe ride and head back to the lodge for a refreshing dip in the lake, or a nice relaxing nap in your personal hammock on your private balcony. After lunch, your native guide will teach you how to fish for the infamous razor-toothed piranha. Keep in mind that piranhas will never attack a person and swimming at the same time is perfectly safe and fun! In the afternoon you will begin what many think is the best trail at Sacha, a silent canoe ride through the flooded Amazonian forest. Where you have a good chance of being surrounded by troops of squirrel, capuchin, and howler monkeys. Keep your eyes peeled for the shy and elusive river otter as well as the incredibly well camouflaged three-toed sloth! After your eye-popping ride through the flooded forest, you will arrive at Sacha´s135-foot wooden tower built around an ancient Kapok tree. Get close up views of vibrantly colored birds through Sacha´s powerful scopes, and watch the sun set with an amazing view of Mount Sumaco, a volcano, and possibly a view of the snow-covered caps of the Andes! Leaving the tower just before or after sunset will give you an experience not soon forgotten. A canoe ride back through the flooded forest at night will be an awe-inspiring experience. Listen to the symphony of frogs and insects as you navigate through the narrow flooded forest trail, keeping your eyes open for caimans. Watch the several species of bats flying over your heads and listen to the many species of nocturnal birds making their eerie nighttime calls. Finally, after your mesmerizing canoe trip through the Amazon, you will arrive back at lake Pilchicocha and the welcoming lights of Sacha lodge.
Day 4: Quito
You will be transferred by boat back to Coca for your flight to Quito, where your trip ends upon arrival at Quito Airport. Normally flights arrive back in Quito at around 2 pm; however, there is always a likelihood of your flight being delayed. This being the case you may wish to book an additional night's accommodation in Quito and also a transfer from airport to hotel at an additional cost. These should be booked at the same time you book your holiday. If you are planning to depart Quito today, we advise that you do not book to depart until at least after 6 pm (18:00 hrs). After the trip: Your feedback is important to us. We have made many trip changes over the years based on past traveller feedback. So if you want to tell us anything, from how great the service was at a particular hotel or how delicious an included meal was or if you have any improvement suggestions then please go to www.intrepidtravel.com/feedback.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 28 September 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..