Alexandria Experience - Independent
Soak up the seaside ambience and ancient heritage of Alexandria, Egypt’s second largest city. Travelling via Cairo on this short independent trip, you’ll have the chance to see some of the country’s most compelling sights, from the Italianate architecture and Greco-Roman statues of the Alexandria National Museum to the 15th-century Qaitbay Fort by the harbour. Independent Experiences Independent travel, without the stress. Peregrine’s Independent Experiences are a range of short ‘mini tours’ that you can add to other Experiences or as an extension to a longer tour, to craft your perfect holiday itinerary. Independent Experiences are for 1-3 travellers, come accompanied by a local Peregrine guide and depart daily. Before booking on this trip we recommend that you read the ‘Safety’ section in the trip notes regarding special safety considerations for Egypt trips.
Travel Dates: From 17/01/2019 to 02/01/2020
Duration: 3 days
- Discover the heritage of Alexander the Great's seaside metropolis by exploring the collections of the Alexandria National Museum
Visit the site of one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World – the Alexandria lighthouse
Learn more about an important WWII battle at one of Egypt's best museums, the El Alamein War Museum
Enjoy plenty of free time taking in the romance of Alexandria's waterfront
Breakfasts Included: 2
Lunches Included: 1
Comfortable hotel (2 nights)
Group Size: 1 - 6
Alexandria - Alexandria National Museum
Alexandria - Catacombs of Kom Ash-Suqqafa
El Alamein - War Museum
1 Cairo – Alexandria
Your trip begins at 8am. You will be picked up from the Novotel Cairo El Borg (or your hotel of choice, if advised prior to departure). Please be ready and waiting in the hotel foyer at 7.50 am. You will then drive out towards the pyramids before following the 'desert road' to the Mediterranean coastal city of Alexandria (approximately 3 hours). Along the way there will be a short stop at a cafeteria. You will be taken to your hotel in Alexandria on arrival. In the afternoon, enjoy a guided exploration of the new Alexandria Museum. It contains a fine display of Ancient Egyptian, Hellenistic and Muslim artefacts and statues. Then it's off to visit the Roman Catacombs.
You will be collected from your hotel this morning for the 105-kilometre drive west to El Alamein (approximately 1.5 hours). On arrival you will visit the small but excellent museum, containing a substantial collection of wartime memorabilia. Continue then to the Commonwealth Cemetery, where you can pay your respects to the fallen. Australian visitors here will also be interested in the small, separate memorial to the Australian contingent. In the summer months, there is usually the chance to have a swim on the way back to Alexandria. Lunch is included today.
After breakfast you will be transferred back to Cairo. Please be ready to be collected by 10.30 am. The morning is yours to explore the city as you please. Depending on traffic conditions, you should be back at your Cairo hotel at around 2 pm. Your trip comes to on arrival into Cairo
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 21 January 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..