Best of El Salvador
Sitting quietly nudged in between Guatemala and Honduras, El Salvador is often bypassed by travellers focused on getting from one big-name Central American attraction to the next. That's their loss. Bold but unassuming, feisty yet open-armed, El Salvador welcomes the curious traveller with plenty of offerings. Journey from the handsome capital of San Salvador through to the whitewashed village of Suchitoto, exploring ruins before arriving at the lush nature reserves of Ahuachapan. Explore the Ruta de las flores before arriving at the surf hub of El Tunco, spending your last days swinging on a hammock by the beach. This trip is the perfect introduction to your next favourite country.
Destination: El Salvador
Travel Dates: From 12/10/2019 to 01/01/2022
Duration: 8 days
Call 0800 24 35 44 and
quote deal number 4841954
- Enjoy the relaxed beachside vibe of El Tunco
Ride along the memorable Ruta de las Flores
Stroll Suchitoto's charming cobbled streets
Breakfasts Included: 7
Hotel (7 nights)
Age: min 15
Group Size: 1 - 12
Leader-led Informal Spanish Lesson
San Salvador -Leader-led walking tour
Suchitoto - Leader led walking tour
Joya de Ceren - Archaeological site (Entrance fee & Transport)
Flower Route - (Ruta de las Flores) Day Trip
Day 1: San Salvador
Welcome to San Salvador! Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm where you'll meet your tour leader and travel group. As capital city of El Salvador, San Salvador isn’t just the centre of the country in a political, cultural and financial sense; it’s also surprisingly pretty. Trees dot the streets next to drastically different buildings, rebuilt after historic earthquakes rocked the city to the core. This hasn’t stopped San Salvador from maintaining an excellent selection of museums, bars and marketplaces – definitely go for a wander if you’ve arrived early.
Day 2: Suchitoto
Begin the day with an orientation walk through San Salvador before stopping off at the anthropological museum and Iglesia el Rosario, a beautiful church with a rainbow arch of multi-coloured windows. Consider sharing an optional lunch with the group before heading on to Suchitoto in northern El Salvador. Enjoy an orientation walk through the rustic streets before enjoying a free evening at your leisure. Suchitoto is a reminder of El Salvador's past. A beautiful colonial town with painted houses and cobbled streets, it feels like a world away from modern El Salvador. The town overlooks the Embalse Cerron Grande, also known as Lago Suchitlan, which is a haven for migrating birds, particularly falcons and hawks.
Day 3: Suchitoto
Use this free day however you wish. Those looking to kick things up a gear may fancy a hike in the Cinquera Forest or kayaking on Lago Suchitlan, or perhaps tour the Guazapa Volcano and the Cihuatan Ruins in the valley below.
Day 4: Ahuachapan
Leave Suchitoto in the early morning en route to Ahuachapan. Along the way, enjoy some spectacular views while driving past Lake Coatepeque, then stop to explore the fascinating preserved ruins of Joya de Ceren - known as the Pompeii of the Americas. A mid-sized town near the Guatemalan border, Ahuachapan is known for its geothermal activity, which it uses to produce electricity for the rest of the country. It is also a handy jumping off point for some of the highlights of western El Salvador. Spend your free time in the evening exploring the town’s beautifully vibrant street art before perhaps savouring a drink at one of the local restaurants.
Day 5: Ahuachapan
Spend today exploring the Ruta de las Flores – a 36 kilometre-long winding trip through both nature and local communities. Travel past brightly colored colonial towns, famed for lazy weekends of gastronomy and gallery hopping, then take a more adventurous hike to waterfalls scattered throughout the glorious Cordillera Apaneca. Witness an area responsible for some of the country’s first coffee plantations – home to some of its finest indigenous artisans and a world-famous weekend food festival as you explore by bus. After a big day of exploration, consider winding down by soaking yourself in Ahuachapan's nearby hot springs.
Day 6: El Tunco
Depart from Ahuachapan and head onwards to El Tunco. Known for its surf and laidback atmosphere, this peaceful village is the perfect spot to kick back with a drink and sway the days away from the comfort of a hammock. The sun setting over the black-sand beach creates a rare spectacle that most international travellers tend to miss, yet the town is still a huge hit amongst locals – particularly on weekends. Enjoy free time upon your arrival, perhaps resting on the beach as the waves lap against the iconic rock formation off the shoreline.
Day 7: El Tunco
Take the day to enjoy this relaxed piece of paradise. Hire a board and tackle the waves, sip on a smoothie along one of the main streets or visit the beach caves at low tide. In the evening, munch on the local specialty of pupusa and join the locals down from San Salvador at the bar.
Day 8: El Tunco
Your El Salvadorian adventure comes to an end after breakfast. There are no activities planned for this final day.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 24 July 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..