Northern Italy Including Cinque Terre Summer 2019
From the northern lakes to Parma - see the layers of pastel hues that cling to Cinque Terre's dramatic sea cliffs, enjoying the flavours of prosciutto and parmigiano along the way.
Travel Dates: From 03/08/2019 to 06/10/2019
Duration: 9 days
- Dining Highlights
8 hot buffet breakfasts
5 dinners (including Be My Guest) with local wine
First class travel Highlights
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals
Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
Hand-picked Trip Highlights
Optional Experiences and free time
All porterage and restaurant gratuities
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
An expert Travel Director and a professional Driver
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
VIP entry to many sights
Arrive Milan (2 Nights)
Embrace the glamour of Milan, your introduction to the fascinating sights and sounds of northern Italy. Spend the day exploring this stylish city before meeting your fellow travellers and Travel Director for a Welcome Reception and evening orientation drive.
Milan Sightseeing and Free Time
Wander through the sophisticated streets of Milan joining your Local Specialist on a walking tour of the city that will reveal the city's iconic and unexpected highlights. See the Gothic Cathedral, glass-domed Galleria and La Scala Opera House, then it's time to pound the pavements in your free time. Consider a visit to the medieval fortress of Sforza Castle to admire the magnificent artistry of da Vinci and Michelangelo, including the famous statue of the Pietà Rondanini.
Milan – Baveno Free Time (2 Nights)
Italy's much-admired Lake District and Lake Maggiore, set against the backdrop of the Southern Alps, is the next stop on our northern Italian journey. We 'Dive Into Culture' during a visit to the Villa Taranto botanical gardens - scents of azalea, camellia and wisteria linger as we explore its lush gardens filled with rare lilies and 300 varieties of dahlias in bloom. Then it's on to our home for the next two nights and the gateway to the three Borromean islands, the lakeside village of Baveno. Consider joining an Optional Experience to one of the Borromean Islands - Isola Bella, which includes a visit inside the aristocratic Borromeo Palace and its gorgeous terraced gardens.
Baveno Free Day
Lap up gentle lakeside living during a full day spent at leisure in this picture-perfect setting. Spend the day relaxing or take an alpine train journey to see the magnificent panoramic views of the north. This evening, we cross the tranquil waters of Maggiore to secluded Isola Madre where we'll 'Connect With Locals' over a Be My Guest dinner.
Baveno – Genoa – Viareggio (2 Nights)
The maritime city of Genoa and birthplace of Columbus is our first stop today as we join a Local Specialist for a guided walking tour to view the city's majestic Renaissance and Baroque architecture. Visit Via Garibaldi, the historic centre of Genoa lined by ancient palaces, before continuing to the seaside town of Viareggio this afternoon.
Viareggio – Full-Day Cinque Terre Excursion
Today we explore the dramatic coastal setting of UNESCO-listed Cinque Terre on an included full-day excursion. The deep blue Ligurian Sea provides a stunning backdrop for the expanse of pastel pinks, yellows and oranges that cling to the rugged seaside cliffs. We join a Local Specialist to visit this remarkable destination.
Viareggio – Langhirano – Parma
Today is a feast for the senses. Crossing the scenic Appenine mountains, we venture towards Parma, renowned for its famous Parma ham and cheese. Dive Into Culture and savour the gourmet delights of this region during a visit to a working prosciutto factory near the town of Langhirano, with a brief photo stop at Torrechiara. Next we'll learn how to make parmigiano reggiano cheese at a family run caseificio. This evening, consider an unforgettable Optional Experience featuring delicious local flavours in a historic setting.
Parma – Milan
Delight in the gastronomic and architectural splendour of the Emilia-Romagna region during a guided tour of Parma with a Local Specialist. See the 12th-century Piazzo Duomo with its Romanesque Cathedral and Baptistery, and Garibaldi Square, home to the Palazzo del Governatore with its ornate astronomical clock. We leave the flavours of Parma behind and embark on a scenic drive back to Milan where we'll enjoy a Farewell Dinner tonight with our travel companions and Travel Director.
Our sumptuous encounter with the landscapes of Northern Italy has sadly come to an end. Transfers are available. Conditions apply.
CITY TOUR in Milan, Genoa, the Cinque Terre and Parma
ORIENTATION of Stresa on Lake Maggiore
VISIT the botanical gardens at Villa Taranto and the Cinque Terre
VIEW the Cathedral and La Scala Opera House in Milan and the Renaissance Palaces in Genoa
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 22 July 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..