Treasures of the Yucatan Summer 2020
Delve into the soul of the Yucatán-home to sun, sea and the glories of an ancient civilisation which once ruled Central America, then mysteriously disappeared.
Travel Dates: From 15/01/2020 to 02/12/2020
Duration: 8 days
- Dining Highlights
First class travel Highlights
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals
Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
Cherry-picked hotels all tried and trusted
Optional Experiences and free time
All porterage and local charges included
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
VIP entry to many sights
Warm heart and soul on the sojourn to Mexico's Caribbean playground, Cancun. On arrival, you'll be met with a hearty Mexican bienvenido and transferred to your hotel, where you'll meet your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception this evening.
Cancun – Ek Balam – Valladolid – Izamal – Merida (2 Nights)
Delve into Mayan culture this morning during a visit to the Ek Balam acropolis, whose well-preserved stucco sculptures and painted hieroglyphic inscriptions provide a window into the Mayan soul. We'll journey to Valladolid, once Yucatan's capital and today a sleepy town. Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant, then stroll around its convivial central square before continuing to the colonial jewel of Izamal, said to be the oldest city in the Yucatan. See its yellow buildings glow in the tropical sun and pay a visit to the Franciscan Monastery before ending your day in "The White City" of Merida.
The vivid pink display of hundreds of flamingos takes centre stage during our visit to the UNESCO-listed Celestún Biosphere Reserve through which we'll travel on small boats, navigating its protected lagoons and canals. Relax under the palm-thatched roof of a local beach restaurant at lunch, enjoying some free time to connect with your surrounds. This evening, we'll 'Connect with Locals', joining Chef Don Miguel in the Chaya Maya Mansion kitchen. Prepare for an unforgettable gastronomic 'Be My Guest' encounter that begins with a welcome cocktail symbolic to the region. Sip your Mayita before learning about the traditional dishes with a modern twist you'll be making and sampling for dinner.
Mérida – Campeche
Ancient meets colonial in the Yucatan's cultural capital of Mérida, which we will have an opportunity to explore in-depth today. View the Paseo de Montejo lined with beautiful Spanish mansions, then visit the Mérida Museum to gain insights into the glories of the city's past. Stroll through the tranquil Central Plaza surrounded by beautiful architecture, see the ornate Casa Montejo, the massive Cathedral and the Palacio del Gobierno with its remarkable collection of murals. We'll travel to the port city of Campeche next, with its colourful colonial history and tales of marauding pirates. Stroll from the magnificent Puerta de Tierra-the main entrance to the Campeche's UNESCO-listed fortified old city-to the Puerta del Mar, which opens up to the Gulf of Mexico. Enjoy an evening at leisure.
Campeche – Edzná – Uxmal
Journey through the rolling hills of La Ruta Puuc and immerse yourself in Mexico's Mayan Puuc culture and heritage. We'll visit the abandoned city of Edzná which reveals the ornate façades and rituals of this ancient culture. Savour smoky local flavours during a lunch featuring the Yucatecan specialities of pollo and cochinita pibil (chicken and pork wrapped in banana leaves). We'll overnight in a historic hacienda 'Stay with a Story' that has attracted world leaders and royalty.
Uxmal – Sotuta de Peón – Chichén Itzá
Few sites reflect the glories of Maya architecture better than the UNESCO-listed Uxmal. Gaze up at its House of the Magician, built in one night as legend would have it. See the Governor's Palace with its tributes to the rain god Chaac and the House of Turtles, among other spectacular examples of Mayan construction. At the living history museum of Hacienda Sotuta de Peón, we'll step back in time to the age of the haciendas. 'Dive into Culture' and learn about henequen (sisal fiber), the green gold of the Yucatán during the colonial era. We'll visit the main house and the still-active processing plant, then hop on a mule-drawn rail cart to visit one of the cenotes (natural wells) that dot the Yucatán countryside. Later this afternoon, we journey to our 'Stay with a Story' located next to the famous Mayan archaeological site of Chichén Itzá.
Chichén Itzá Sightseeing – Cancun
Rise with the birds and stroll through the ruins of the UNESCO-listed Chichén Itzá, savouring the rare opportunity to be the first visitors on site. Your Travel Director will reveal the iconic and unexpected highlights including the imposing El Castillo (The Castle), the Temple of the Warriors and the great Ball Court, the largest of its kind in Central America. This afternoon, we'll return to Cancun for some free time to embrace fun and freedom in this Caribbean beach playground. Our journey almost at its end, we'll join our travel companions for a lively Farewell Dinner.
Say a fond farewell to the Yucatan and your newfound amigos as you transfer to Cancun International Airport for your flight home or consider extending your stay in Cancun.
CITY TOUR Campeche, Merida
CRUISE the lagoons and canals of Celestún
VIEW the Paseo de Montejo
VISIT Ek Balam, the colonial jewel of Izamal, Valladolid, Edzná, the Mayan Ruins of Uxmal, Chichén Itzá, Cancun
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 21 September 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..