THE WONDERS OF MEXICO'S YUCATAN WITH CANCUN
Home to one of the world’s most sophisticated ancient cultures, Mexico’s Yucatán offers fascinating archaeological sites, interesting colonial cities, and beautiful beaches. On this Yucatán tour, you’ll explore it all with overnights in Cancun, Uxmal, Campeche, Mérida, and Chichen Itza. From the fun experiences to the fascinating sites, this Yucatán tour—with extra time in Cancun—is a perfect holiday!
In ancient times, the Maya built complex cities, developed an accurate calendar, aligned their buildings for astronomical purposes, and learned to effectively farm. On this Yucatán tour, learn about this intriguing culture and visit some of its greatest ruins. Stay at the renowned Hotel Mayaland steps away from Chichen Itza and explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site built by the Maya between 600 and 900 AD. Here, visit the Ball Court, site of sacrifices; El Castillo, a pyramid dedicated to the high priest; and Cenote Sagrado, a sacred underwater sinkhole used for sacrifices to the gods. You’ll also explore Ek’ Balam, at the height of its importance from 600-900 AD, and Uxmal, one of the Maya’s ancient masterpieces and today a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
On this tour through Mexico’s Yucatán, you’ll also explore the colonial cities of Valladolid, with its charming streets and interesting churches; Mérida, where you’ll stay in a former colonial mansion; and the coastal town of Campeche, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with baroque Spanish architecture. Enjoy some out-of-the-ordinary experiences offered by Globus, including a visit to a Panama hat maker in Bécal and a cooking demonstration in Uxmal. With three extra nights in Cancun, you’ll have time to soak on the beach, visit the ruins in Tulum, or just relax by the pool.
Home to one of the world’s most sophisticated ancient cultures, Mexico’s Yucatán offers fascinating archaeological sites, interesting colonial cities, and beautiful beaches. On this Yucatán tour, you’ll explore it all with overnights in Cancun, Uxmal, Campeche, Mérida, and Chichen Itza.
From the fun experiences to the fascinating sites, this Yucatán tour—with extra time in Cancun—is a perfect holiday!
Travel Dates: From 22/09/2019 to 13/11/2019
- Default highlight
Breakfasts Included: 10
Lunches Included: 0
Dinners Included: 4
1 ARRIVE IN CANCUN, MEXICO.
Welcome to Cancun! At 6 pm, meet your fellow travelling companions for a welcome drink. Your Tour Director will prepare you for your upcoming adventure.
This morning, visit the colonial city of Valladolid, known for its charming streets and sun-splashed walls. After a short orientation tour, there's time to explore on your own. Arrive later this afternoon in Uxmal. Tickets are included tonight for the exciting SOUND & LIGHT SHOW, full of magic and mystery. (B,D) SPECIAL FEATURE: Your home for the next two nights is the Hacienda Uxmal. Set on lush tropical grounds and just a short walk from the Uxmal Archaeological Park, the Hacienda Uxmal has hosted royalty and celebrities, including Queen Elizabeth, Grace Kelly, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and Henry Kissinger.
Today, we visit the most famous ruins of the Puuc region, UXMAL, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The existence of this city is a testament to the engineering abilities of the Maya who built reservoirs to provide water to it during the dry season. Uxmal means "thrice-built" in Mayan and during your visit you'lll learn about the Pyramid of the Magician which wa built on top of existing pyramids. Later, visit the CHOCO-STORY MUSEUM, where you'll learn the history of coca, its importance to the Mayans, and see how chocolate was prepared using an ancestral recipe. You'll even have the chance to make your own BEVERAGE with ingredients you choose. (B,D)
This morning, a unique COOKING DEMONSTRATION is in store for you. Here, you will learn the traditions still practiced in most of the rural Mayan communities. Learn about the special ingredients and spices used and how the food is prepared. Continue to the coastal town of Campeche, once a fortified pirate haven and now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Here, you'll find a captivating port filled with history, baroque Spanish architecture, and natural beauty. This afternoon's city tour includes visits to the vibrant malecon (waterfront) area, the historic fort of SAN FRANCISCO DE CAMPECHE, and the historic downtown area. Have your camera handy, as Campeche has spent the last few years restoring hundreds of downtown buildings, making it one of the most photogenic colonial cities in all of Mexico. This evening is at leisure. Your Tour Director will have suggestions for shopping, dining, and additional sightseeing. (B)
Our first stop today is the village of Becal. For more than a century, the skilled hat weavers of Becal have been weaving Panama Hats using ancient Mayan techniques. We'll visit a local HAT MAKER to learn about the history and the hat-making process. Later, journey to Merida, capital of the Yucatan state and its colonial heart. Visit the MUSEUM OF ANTHROPOLOGY, home to a collection of exclusive artifacts from the Maya civilisation to present day. Your hotel this evening is a former colonial mansion that is within walking distance of shopping and the historic city centre. (B)
6 MERIDA-CHICHEN ITZA.
This morning, enjoy a city tour including the cathedral, Governor's Palace, and the tree-lined streets of Paseo de Montejo. On to Chichen Itza, where the renowned Hotel Mayaland is your home for the next two nights. You may wish to take a dip in the pool, stroll through the beautiful gardens, or just enjoy a cool drink. After dinner this evening, you are invited to attend the SOUND & LIGHT SHOW. (B,D) SPECIAL FEATURE: Located in the heart of Chichen Itza Archaeology Park, the Hotel Mayaland is set on 100 acres of tropical gardens and maintains its own private entrance to the park. Built in 1923, it's the world's oldest hotel inside an archaeological site, and has been named a "must see" by Conde Nast Traveller.
7 CHICHEN ITZA. EXCURSION TO EK' BALAM.
Start the day with a visit to CHICHEN ITZA, built by the Maya between 600 and 900 AD. It was abandoned by the end of the 10th century and re-established in the 11th and 12th centuries, possibly by the Toltecs. Visit the BALL COURT, site of sacrifices; EL CASTILLO, a formidable building dedicated to the high priest; and the CENOTE SAGRADO, the sacred well once filled with priceless treasure offered to the gods. Next, visit the enormous and elaborate pyramid inside the Mayan site of EK' BALAM. Meaning "Black Jaguar," Ek' Balam was at the height of its importance as a Mayan city during the Late Classic Period (600-900 AD). When the Mayans abandoned the site, it went undercover as the dense low-lying jungle of the Yucatan engulfed it. Found by archaeologists and adventurers, its restoration has been ongoing since 1997. Return to Chichen Itza, where your Tour Director hosts a festive farewell dinner. The perfect ending to your time in the Yucatan. (B,D)
8 CHICHEN ITZA-CANCUN.
After breakfast this morning, return to Cancun and check in to the Westin Resort & Spa for the next three nights. (B)
Spend two full days in Cancun, with a multitude of activities to enjoy. During your time here, you may want to swim with the dolphins, take a ferry to Cozumel, visit the nearby ruins of Tulum, relax on a dinner cruise to Isla Mujeres, enjoy a massage or facial at the spa, shop for souvenirs, or simply relax by the pool. (B)
Enjoy day at leisure. (B)
The tour ends after breakfast with guests departing on individual schedules. (B)
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 21 September 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..