Essaouira Short Break
Need an excuse to head coastal in Morocco? Look no further than a short break to the seaside town of Essouira – a place that is known for its white-washed buildings, laidback vibe and delicious seafood. Consider exploring by foot the spice-scented lanes, the bustling markets, or perhaps meet with the Gnawa people – an Afro-Moroccan group whose culture and music provide the heartbeat of this town. This bite-sized adventure starts and ends in Marrakech and takes the stress of travel and organisation away from you. Get relaxed and get exploring on Morocco’s coast.
Travel Dates: From 20/10/2019 to 02/01/2021
Duration: 3 days
- Take the journey to bustling Marrakech to the laidback vibe of Morocco’s coast, without the hassle of working out your own travel arrangements
Discover the colourful markets of Essaouria and finish a half-day guided tour of the city with a delicious barbecue seafood lunch
Consider your options of joining an Urban Adventures experience in Essaouira – perhaps with a focus on local cuisine, or traditional Gnawa culture and music
Breakfasts Included: 2
Lunches Included: 1
Riad (2 nights)
Age: min 5
Group Size: 1 - 12
Day 1: Essaouira
Good morning from Morocco! This morning, you’ll be collected from your hotel in Marrakech and will travel to the port town of Essaouira, driving for around 3 hours. The name Essaouira literally translates to image, which is appropriate since it's such a picturesque town. Its charm is undeniable; within the stone ramparts you'll find whitewashed houses with bright blue shutters, art galleries and wood workshops. This laidback artists' town is a former Portuguese trading colony and was once home to sizeable British and Jewish populations. The town faces a group of rocky islands, called the Mogador, and is surrounded by an expanse of sandy beaches and dunes. It's still a busy fishing port and its pretty harbour is filled with tiny colourful boats which go out early every morning for the day's catch. You'll arrive in time to wander the cafes and have some lunch with the afternoon free to relax.
Day 2: Essaouira
After breakfast, head on a half-day guided tour of this seaside port, checking out all of the main sights and gaining insider knowledge with a local guide. After this tour, you’ll be sure to have worked up an appetite, so you will finish with a fresh barbecue seafood lunch with today’s local catch (other dietary options are also available). With the afternoon free for you to explore, why not check out an Urban Adventures tour? Perhaps the Gnawa Music Experience – step inside the sacred and traditional world of the Gnawa, an Afro-Moroccan group whose music and culture are the heartbeat of Essaouira. Meet with Gnawa masters and experience their addictive music in hidden domains inaccessible to Essaouira outsiders. If more food is on the menu, how about the Essaouira Food & Culture tour, which takes you on a tour through the medina, to the fishing port, and up onto the ramparts of this mesmerising Moroccan city. With pastries to start, grilled fish in the middle, and a cup of tea brewed by an expert herbalist at the end, you’ll leave with a taste of the exotic that you won’t soon forget. If you’d prefer to do your own thing, that’s good too! The narrow streets of Essaouira are ideal for strolling. Browse the plentiful shops and intriguing art galleries that make this little town a particularly pleasant place to unwind. If you’d like to relax, don't miss the opportunity to indulge in a hammam or local-style bath.
Day 3: Marrakech
Enjoy a relaxing morning, and after breakfast, you’ll travel back to Marrakech (approximately 3 hours). Please advise at the time of booking if you would like to be dropped off at the airport or a hotel in Marrakech – both arrangements can be made available.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 October 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..