Essence of South Africa Summer 2019
Bush, beach and two vibrant cities - capture the essence of South Africa on this culmination of a Cape Town to Kruger experience, including Johannesburg, the 'City of Gold'.
Destination: South Africa
Travel Dates: From 27/10/2019 to 31/12/2019
Duration: 10 days
Call 0800 24 35 44 and
quote deal number 5233587
- Dining Highlights
9 hot buffet breakfasts
3 lunches (including Be My Guest)
First class travel Highlights
Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals
Hand-picked hotels, lodges and luxury safari camps
Hand-picked Trafalgar Highlights
Optional Experiences and free time
All porterage and restaurant gratuities
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
An expert Travel Director, Driver Guide or Trafalgar Representative
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
Arrive Cape Town (4 Nights)
South Africa's 'Mother City' and her iconic Table Mountain extend a warm welcome as you embark on a journey that will reveal the highlights of South Africa. Spend the day delving into Cape Town's cosmopolitan surrounds before joining your fellow travellers and Travel Director for a Welcome Reception.
Table Mountain and Cape Town City Tour
This morning, we encounter Table Mountain first-hand, ascending via aerial cableway to its vast flat top - a rocky wonderland of rich Cape fynbos and curious dassies (hyraxes). Peer over the bustling City Bowl and Atlantic Seaboard keeping a keen eye out for the landmarks your Travel Director will show you during this afternoon's city tour. The rest of the day is yours to explore Cape Town at leisure. Ramble up Bree Street to sample the city's vibrant coffee culture or take a stroll along the Sea Point promenade with the fellow outdoor enthusiasts.
Cape Peninsula Tour
Circumnavigate the Cape Peninsula, from trendy Camps Bay to Cape Point and back. The crashing waves of the Atlantic to your right, the rocky 12 Apostles to your left, wind your way along one of the world's most magnificent coastal roads towards the outcrop that is Africa's most extreme south-western tip. Say a quiet hello to the shy penguins of Boulders Beach, see the Cape of Good Hope and travel through charming coastal towns along the way.
Cape Winelands Excursion and Cape Town Free Time
Venture to the town of Franschhoek and see during your orientation why it is proclaimed as one of the most beautiful wine valleys in the world. In the nearby Stellenbosch Kloof Valley, you'll 'Connect with Locals' over a Be My Guest traditional Cape lunch. Gain insights into the wine heritage of the De Waal family, who have been making wine in this valley since the early 18th century. Join a family member for wine tasting, then explore their beautiful 1791 Cape Dutch Manor House. Return to Cape Town for an evening at leisure.
Cape Town – Greater Kruger National Park Area (3 Nights)
This morning you'll bid farewell to the 'Mother City' and fly to Hoedspruit where a private game reserve near South Africa's great Kruger National Park beckons. Then kick back, relax and settle in to one of Trafalgar's 'Stays with Stories', the Becks Luxury Private Safari Lodge, your home in the bush for the next three nights.
Karongwe Private Reserve Safari Game Drives
The action begins as we embark on an early morning game drive through Karongwe Private Reserve with a Local Specialist game ranger and Shangaan tracker-guide. The rising sun awakens the birds and insects that share your journey into the bush, as you scour the dense brush for signs of the Big 5. After lunch, and time for a siesta and a swim, return to the bush for an afternoon safari drive.
Karongwe Private Reserve Safari Game Drives
Today enjoy another full day of game drives through Karongwe Private Reserve. Continue to scour the dense brush with your Local Specialist for incredible encounters with Africa's iconic wildlife. End the day with a traditional sundowner drink overlooking the Game Reserve, keeping your eyes peeled for signs of wildlife that emerge from their cover of darkness.
Greater Kruger National Park Area – Johannesburg (2 Nights)
Our time in the South African bushveld comes to a close with a 'Dive Into Culture' visit to a local Shangaan village. Learn about the traditions and customs of the Shangaan people and how the Eco Academy there provides eco and wildlife education. Fly to Johannesburg and check into one of Trafalgar's 'Stays with Stories' located in the restaurant and entertainment hub of Melrose Arch.
Unlock the secrets of the 'city of gold' on a full-day tour to view several iconic sites including the Regina Mundi Church and Mandela's house in Soweto. 'Dive into Culture' during a visit to the Hector Pieterson Museum and the Apartheid Museum, which chronicles South Africa's tumultuous Apartheid years.
Our epic encounter with South Africa's iconic sites comes to an end today. Transfer to Johannesburg International Airport for your onward flight.
City Tour in Cape Town
View Boulder's Beach penguin colony, Mandela House in Soweto
Visit Table Mountain, Cape of Good Hope, Franschhoek, Stellenbosch, the Karongwe Private Game Reserve, Hector Pieterson Museum in Soweto, the Apartheid Museum
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 22 October 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..