Stone Town to Nairobi
Get ready for a wildlife-filled adventure on this East African road-trip. Full of incredible scenery, fascinating cultures and more animals than you can count, this trip from Zanzibar's Stone Town up into the slopes of Mt Kilimanjaro, through the Ngorongoro Crater and across the wide expanses of the Serengeti, will amaze you at every turn.
Travel Dates: From 19/07/2019 to 09/01/2021
Duration: 9 days
Call 0800 24 35 44 and
quote deal number 3848291
- Explore the home of the Big Five beasts of Africa – the Serengeti, a wildlife arena like no other
Hang with local mamas in Arusha preparing a local Swahili dish before being a guest into their home
Take a mind-blowing safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open-roof 4WD vehicle for a chance to see endangered black rhinoceros
Accompanied by a local crew — a leader, driver and cook – you'll be in excellent hands for the duration of your adventure
Breakfasts Included: 8
Lunches Included: 7
Dinners Included: 8
Camping (with basic facilities) (2 nights),Camping (with facilities) (4 nights),Camping (with basic facilities) (2 nights)
Overland vehicle,4x4 Safari Vehicle
Age: min 15
Group Size: 1 - 22
Irente - Lushoto hike & local lunch
Kisongo - Cooking class, village walk & home visit
Ngorongoro Crater - 4x4 Game Drive
Serengeti National Park - 4x4 Game Drive
Day 1: Stone Town / Bagamoyo
Begin your African adventure in Stone Town, Zanzibar’s Old Town. Spend some time exploring its narrow streets and busy bazaars in your own time, then meet your tour leader and travel group at an 11 am welcome meeting at the hotel. After this important meeting, catch the ferry to Dar es Salaam. Then board your overland vehicle (and meet your driver and cook) and take the short drive to your camp at Bagamoyo, a lovely spot by the beach.
Day 2: Usambara Mountains
Perhaps wake up early and visit the old slave trade markets. It's then time to get off the well-beaten track and head into the remote Tanzanian mountains (approximately 7 hours). The Usambara Mountains are a lovely unspoilt area of Tanzania. Unlike the coast and the north, this area attracts very few tourists, so it has a freshness that can be hard to find elsewhere. The forests stretch across the mountains and are ideal for easy hikes and guided walks. You base is the old German colony of Lushoto. You'll stay in the grounds of one of the earliest hotels in Africa. The campsite has flush toilets and showers, and upgrades are possible. WiFi is rare here though.
Day 3: Usambara Mountains
Explore the beautiful Usambara Mountains and experience this area's gentle hospitality on a visit to some of its small communities. As beautiful as this place is, its real jewels are the local people and villages. From your base, you will take a walk out to the gorgeous Irente viewpoint. It's best to pack some water and snacks in a day pack for this trip. On your way back, visit a local cultural project based at Irente farm and enjoy a picnic lunch.
Day 4: Arusha
Today is a full day of travel as you board your truck once again and venture towards Tanzania’s national parks. Your destination is the sprawling, gateway town of Arusha. It should take about 10 hours to arrive at your campsite on the outskirts of the town. The campsite has flush toilets and showers. It also has a bar – the perfect place to unwind with a drink after a long day in the truck.
Day 5: Karatu
Take a short drive to the small town of Kisongo where you’ll get to enjoy a fun day with some local mamas. First, the women will teach you how to prepare a local Swahili dish for lunch. After enjoying your creations, you’ll get the chance to take a closer look into their lives. With help from a translator, the women will lead smaller groups around their village. Visit their homes and see how a traditional boma (small hut made of mud and cow dung) is set up. You’ll also get to meet their families and learn about Maasai culture. After this illuminating day, drive to the small town of Karatu, the gateway to the Ngorongoro Crater.
Day 6: Ngorongoro Crater / Serengeti National Park
Get up early, put your camping and personal gear into a six-person jeep and head out for an excursion into the Serengeti via the Ngorongoro Crater. Enjoy a safari in the crater, spending between three and four hours exploring this incredible, perfectly intact volcanic crater. Watch for black rhinos, lions, leopards, elephants, impalas, zebras and hippos. The crater floor offers excellent game viewing all year round (some 30,000 animals live here) and the photo opportunities here are unrivalled. Next it's on to the wide open plains of the Serengeti. Green after the rains, brown and burnt in the dry season, this is perhaps the quintessential image of Africa – the home of thousands of hoofed animals and fierce predators. Your campsite is within the Serengeti itself, so listen out for the sounds of nocturnal animals as you drift off to sleep. The camp is basic with limited running water and no upgrades or Wi-Fi available.
Day 7: Serengeti National Park
Awake at dawn and embark on a game drive. You will head out while the animals are at their most active, then head back to camp for brunch at around 11 am. After spending the middle of the day relaxing, just like the animals do, head out again as the day begins to cool. You'll return from this second game drive in time for dinner. There's also the option of a balloon ride over the park today (in place of some of the morning game drive). If you have pre-booked this activity (please see the 'Important Notes' section) you will be picked up before dawn and driven to the launch site. After a safety briefing, you will glide through the dawn, sometimes at tree height, which provides amazing photo opportunities. Sometimes you will ascend, getting an overview of the enormity of the plains and the early morning movements of the teeming herds. After landing, you'll be treated to a five-star bush breakfast, then be returned to your camp.
Day 8: Mto Wa Mbu
Rise with the sun and enjoy another game drive as you exit the Serengeti. Jump back into your overland vehicle and head for Mto wa Mbu. Take a stroll and acquaint yourself with this delightful small village – it's a fascinating snapshot of small-town African life, situated well off the tourist trail. Tonight you'll stay at a campsite with flush toilets, showers and optional upgrades (subject to availability).
Day 9: Nairobi
Set off early heading to the border with Kenya and on to Nairobi (approximately 9–10 hours). You'll be dropped at the finishing point hotel in Nairobi. No accommodation is provided for tonight, but this can be arranged when you book this trip. You can also choose to finish your trip in Arusha this morning if you wish.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 23 July 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..