Jim Cato-Symonds, manager of Flight Centre Ponsonby, has recently travelled to Vietnam and shares his top tips on places to go and things to do:
1. Hoi-An is teeming with tailors and is the place to get clothes made. Take a few of your favourite items or even a photo of what you want and they’ll be replicated to perfection.
2. Head to the markets to eat the fragrant fresh and fiery treats of Vietnam at tiny prices. There is great food all over Vietnam but head to the town market for truly authentic cheap eats.
3. When crossing the road, step out slowly, walk at a steady pace and watch the traffic flow around you – or follow a local. If you wait for a gap in the endless number of scooters you will be there all day.
4. Take to the seas in Halong Bay – a couple of nights on a comfortable, converted traders junk mean the staggering sights some to you. Huge limestone casts rise out of the emerald waters as you drift past, relaxing with a drink in hand.
5. Head to the hills north of Hanoi. The hill tribes, terraced rice paddies and colonial era hill stations provide achingly beautiful scenery and mean a trip up north is never forgotten.
Looking for more information on Vietnam? or Cheap Flights to Asia? Contact Flight Centre travel expert Jim Cato-Symonds in our Flight Centre Ponsonby store or one of Flight Centre's 135 stores nationwide. Phone 0800 24 35 44.