Updated 01 March 2017

Disclaimer: This FAQ does not constitute visa advice. Visa advice can be obtained from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Offices or visa advisory service providers.

All New Zealand passport holders are required to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before travelling to or transiting through Canada. The eTA is a pre-screen for passengers that intend to visit or transit Canada on the visa free program. 
To find out if you need to get an eTA visit this website: 
Note: An approval given under the eTA does not guarantee entry to Canada. 


How do I apply for an eTA: 
What information is required to obtain an eTA? 
  • Name, nationality and date of birth 
  • Passport details 
  • Email address
  • Credit Card
Please note: You can’t apply for an eTA if you are a:
  • Canadian citizen, including a dual Canadian citizen – make sure to travel with a valid Canadian passport
  • Canadian permanent resident, or
  • U.S. citizen (but lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA if travelling by air).
You can’t apply for an eTA using a:
  • Refugee Travel Document,
  • Organization of American States (OAS) Travel Document,
  • UN Laissez-Passer, or
  • Travel document issued to non-citizens 
Exempt from this rule include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. 
When should I apply? 
Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes. However, some requests can take several days to process if you’re asked to submit supporting documents. It is best to get eTA before you book your flight to Canada.
What if my itinerary changes? Can I update the eTA? 
Yes. Once you have obtained your eTA (travel authorisation) you will be given instructions for how to update it. 
Does the eTA document expire?
An approved eTA is valid for five years but must be renewed / re-done before expiration if: 
  • The traveller’s passport changes / expires 
  • The traveller’s name or gender changes 
  • The traveller’s citizenship changes 
Can my travel consultant help me? 
No. Adults should complete their own authorisation and the appropriate parent / guardian should complete it for each child and infant. 
Note: You can only apply and pay for one person at a time. For example, for a family of three, you will need to complete and submit the form three times.