New York travel tips

As with any international holiday, it helps to know a few New York travel tips before heading away. Once you’ve booked your trip, you’ll need to apply for a visa and become familiar with transport options from the local airports.  Don’t forget to change your money into the local currency, and make sure you’re up to date with any vaccinations before travelling. It also helps to seek out New York travel advice from someone who has recently been, so speak with an Flight Centre Travel Expert to ensure you’re ready to go.

USA Visas

Australian passport holders may be eligible for a USA visa under the Visa Waiver Program, which applies to stays under 90 days. You must apply for an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) through the ESTA website. The length of your stay and whether you intend on working or just travelling determines the type of visa you require.

USA Currency

In the USA, the currency used is the United States Dollar (USD). Most restaurants, hotels and larger stores accept credit cards; however, cash is necessary for smaller places such as markets, food trucks and some cafes. ATMs and banks are widely available throughout greater New York.

New York food

You certainly won't be lost for options when it comes to New York food. Whether you want to seek out a New York steak, enjoy a burger and shake at a classic diner, or be tempted by all sorts of delights in one of the city's trendy eateries, you'll never be short of choices during your New York holiday. Be sure to try a classic New York bagel or slice of New York pizza too.

Tipping in New York

Tipping in New York, as with the rest of the United States, is customary. For restaurants, tip between 15-20% of the bill, unless a gratuity is already included on your bill. For taxi drivers, tip 15%. If you're having a drink in a bar, tip between 15-20% per round. For single drinks or cocktails, tip $1-2 per drink ordered.

USA Electrical Plugs and Voltage

USA electrical plugs and voltage vary slightly from Australia, so you'll need an adapter for small appliances. USA electrical plugs generally have two flat blades, with some newer appliances equipped with the third grounding pin. Voltage in the United States is set at 110 volts, so be sure that your appliance is compatible with multiple voltages or take a converter with you.

Language in New York

The official and main language in New York is English. However, thanks to the large and multicultural population, many other languages are also spoken here. Aside from English, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese are among the most common languages spoken in New York, as well as French and Italian just to name a few.

New York Airport

There are three major New York airports servicing the city: John F. Kennedy (JFK) International Airport and LaGuardia in Queens, and Newark Liberty International Airport in Newark, New Jersey. Direct flights are available from most American cities and international destinations. Car transfers, shuttle buses, and public transport are available from each airport.