From 14/09/2021 to 07/10/2021
First class travel Highlights.
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals.
Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
Cherry-picked hotels all tried and trusted.
Optional Experiences and free time.
All porterage and local charges included.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
An expert Travel Director and separate Driver, Driver Guide only on Mini-Stays.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday.
VIP entry to many sights.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Arrive Christchurch Discover the delightful fusion of modern design and the elegance of yesteryear in Christchurch, your gateway to the South Island. Transfer to your hotel (flights to arrive prior to 4pm), then spend time at leisure before meeting your Travel Director and fellow travellers for an evening Welcome Reception.
Day 2 - Christchurch - Twizel 'Make A Difference' this morning by contributing to Trafalgar's Sustainable Tourism Commitment to planting native trees in the Port Hills of Christchurch. Next, cross the Canterbury Plains and 'Connect With Locals' Angie and Stan Taylor at their home Morelea for an exclusive 'Be My Guest' afternoon tea and insights into a lifetime spent farming in New Zealand. Later, view the little stone-hewn Church of the Good Shepherd on Lake Tekapo. Your day finishes in the historic hydro town of Twizel.
Day 3 - Twizel - Dunedin Journey along the Waitaki River, through the township of Oamaru and on to the soaring spires and Victorian fa?ades of Dunedin. Spend a leisurely afternoon or consider an Optional Experience. You could ride the Taieri Gorge Railway, take the Monarch Wildlife Cruise to see the Penguins and the Royal Albatross or experience an interactive tour of Speight's Brewery.
Day 4 - Dunedin - Te Anau Explore Dunedin on your own this morning. Perhaps embark on an Optional Experience to Larnach Castle, New Zealand's only castle, or roam the lush grounds of New Zealand's first university, Otago. This afternoon, cross sheep-filled farming land that is so characteristically 'Pure New Zealand'. Wind your way into Fiordland National Park and the South Island's largest lake and Te Anau, from where tonight you could choose to join an Optional Experience across the lake for a tour of the Glowworm Caves.
Day 5 - Te Anau - Queenstown (2 Nights) Savour a day full of pinch-me moments! Experience magnificent scenery as you travel along the alpine highway to Fiordland National Park. Enjoy numerous photo opportunities afforded by the Mirror Lakes, Knobs Flat, Hollyford Valley lookout (Pop's view), Cleddau Valley and the Chasm, drive through the hand-hewn Homer Tunnel towards the iconic Mitre Peak and the Bowen Falls before reaching Milford Sound. Enjoy lunch and a cruise on this wonder of nature. Later, journey over the Devil's Staircase, along the shores of Lake Wakatipu bound for Queenstown, New Zealand's adventure capital. An orientation tour skirting around the shores of Lake Wakatipu, takes you into the city centre before arriving at your hotel.
Day 6 - Queenstown Free Time Spend a leisurely day or consider an Optional Experience. If you're feeling energetic you can ride the exhilarating Shotover Jet boat; for a more laid-back experience, take a gondola to Bob's Peak for panoramic views over Queenstown or embark on a minibus excursion through Skippers Canyon. This evening, you'll board the TSS Earnslaw, New Zealand's oldest steamship, cruising across Lake Wakatipu to Walter Peak High Country Farm for a gourmet barbecue Regional Dinner at the Colonel's Homestead. Gain a deeper understanding of high-country farm life during an entertaining farm show, then return to Queenstown to sample the festive nightlife.
Day 7 - Queenstown - Franz Josef A morning visit to Arrowtown reveals its rich gold mining heritage, before your journey continues to Cromwell, where you'll have an opportunity to savour the juicy flavours of local stone fruit. It is a day of gorgeous lakes, as after Dunstan, you will travel further into Central Otago and view the vivid blue waters of Lake Hawea, followed by Lake Wanaka, where the shoreline is charmingly lined by poplars and willows. Following an ancient greenstone trail, you will travel over Haast Pass, marking a change from the alpine scenery of the Southern Lakes, to the rainforest marvel of the wild West Coast. View the sheer drop of Thunder Creek Falls and the grand sight of Mt Hooker, flanked on three sides by extensive glaciers. Our destination is the extraordinary rivers of ice that make up Franz Josef Glacier. You may wish to get up close and personal with the glaciers on an Optional Experience helicopter flight.
Day 8 - Franz Josef - Punakaiki Take some time this morning to explore the icy depths of this white wilderness that has retreated from the sea over millennia. Later, journey to Hokitika. Here, you will delve into the delicate craft of greenstone carvery during a visit to a factory and jewellery demonstration by a 'Local Specialist' master carver. Punakaiki's Pancake Rocks and Blowholes are your destination today. Spend the night at one of Trafalgar's 'Stays With Stories' - the eco-friendly Punakaiki Resort located right on the waterfront. Dinner is served against the backdrop of the thundering Tasman surf.
Day 9 - Punakaiki - Christchurch Travel to Greymouth to visit Monteith's Brewery, where you will be guided through the traditions and heritage of this national icon with a 'Local Specialist'. You will get to experience and taste ever changing and innovative brews before enjoying a pub-style lunch. Later you will board the TranzAlpine train to Christchurch. This spectacular journey is rated as one of the world's most scenic train trips. It forges through tunnels and over viaducts with panoramic views of snow-capped peaks, icy rivers, beech forests, gorges and river valleys. After a day of soul-stirring sights, join your Travel Director and new-found friends for a Farewell Dinner.
Day 10 - Depart Christchurch Your holiday concludes this morning after breakfast. You will be transferred to Christchurch Airport for your onward flight (flights anytime). Sightseeing Highlights CITY TOUR in Dunedin and Christchurch CRUISE on Milford Sound and Lake Wakatipu SEE spectacular sights in Fiordland National Park en route to Milford Sound VIEW the Southern Alps from the TranzAlpine train VISIT Franz Josef Glacier, historic Arrowtown, and the Pancake Rocks and Blowholes at Punakaiki Connect with Locals Join your hosts Angie and Stan Taylor in their home for afternoon tea and hear about a lifetime spent farming in New Zealand. (Day 2) Local Specialist For included sightseeing with a jade (greenstone) carver in Hokitika (Day 8) and at a brewery in Greymouth (Day 9). Make a Difference Join Trafalgar in the quest for Sustainable Tourism when we plant trees in the hills near Christchurch, an area ravaged by wildfires. (Day 2) Stays with Stories Stay on the South Island's wild west coast at eco-friendly Punakaiki Resort. Designed in harmony with the environment, your stay gives you a unique insight into local ecology and nature. (Day 8)
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 18 June 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans