Best of Sri Lanka & Beach - 12 Days
11 nights 4-5 star hotels and heritage properties.
Guided sightseeing - Dambulla, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya, Nuwara Eliya, Udawalawe NP and Colombo.
Scenic train journey from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya, and Kandy Tuk Tuk ride.
Jeep safari/game drive in Udawalawe National Park .
Escorted by a licensed English speaking chauffeur guide.
Airport arrival and departure transfer on days 1 and 12 .
All relevant transfers and transportation in private air-conditioned tourism vehicles.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Colombo Upon arrival at Colombo airport you will be met and transferred to your Colombo hotel. Spend the rest of the day at leisure. Relax at the hotel and enjoy a swim in the pool or independently explore Sri Lanka's charming capital city.
Day 2 - Dambulla Colombo - Dambulla - Polonnaruwa - Dambulla. Drive inland from Colombo to Dambulla this morning, stopping en route at a fruit and vegetable market in Naramwela Town. Explore the incredible complex of caves at Dambulla Rock Temple. Dating back to the 1st Century BC, the five caves contain over 150 images of Buddha.
Next stop today is Polonnaruwa, an ancient 11th century city which was once the capital of Sri Lanka. Roam around the incredible ruins, including the famous Royal Palace and the Gal Vihara. After exploring this ancient site, return to Dambulla for an evening at leisure.
Day 3 - Sigiriya Dambulla - Sigiriya - Kandy. This morning visit Sigiriya, where you can climb to the top of the famous ‘Lion Rock’ fortress. Built over 1500 years ago, this iconic citadel can be viewed from miles around, standing 200 meters high in the middle of verdant jungle. As you climb the spiral staircase to take in the incredible views from the top of the fortress, stop to see the famous paintings of the Heavenly Maidens, in a sheltered pocket of the rock.
Next stop today is a spice garden in Matale where you will learn about the different herbs and spices Sri Lanka is famous for. Then travel on to Kandy, where you will spend the next two nights.
Day 4 - Kandy This morning embark on a sightseeing tour of Kandy - the last capital of the Sri Lankan kings. First stop is the famous Temple of the Tooth Relic. Legend has it that one of Buddha's teeth was taken from him as he lay on his funeral pyre. It was then smuggled into Sri Lanka in 313AD. It now attracts daily pilgrims who come bearing lotus flowers and frangipani. After exploring the temple, enjoy a scenic drive around Kandy Lake before visiting a local bazaar and a gem museum. Then take Tuk Tuk ride up into the surrounding hills to take in views of the city. In the afternoon visit the Geragama Tea Factory, which manufactures 'Low Grown' and 'Long Leaf' tea. End the day watching a cultural performance of traditional Sri Lankan music and dance this evening.
Day 5 - Nuwara Eliya Kandy - Nuwara Eliya. Spend the morning at leisure in Kandy before transferring to the railway station for a scenic train ride. Passing mile upon mile of verdant tea plantations that hug the winding mountain passes, see tea pickers, waterfalls and suspension bridges on your journey up to Nuwara Eliya - Sri Lanka’s most popular hill resort. Nuwara Eliya is also the heart of Sri Lanka’s tea country producing a significant share of the world’s best tea. Upon arrival enjoy a sightseeing tour of Nuwara Eliya - locally as 'Little England'.
Day 6 - Udawalawe National Park Nuwara Eliya - Udawalawe National Park. Today head south to Embilipitiya, your base for exploring Udawalawe National Park. Udawalawe is probably one of the best places to spot the famous Sri Lankan elephant, the biggest of all the Asian elephants in the wild. It is thought that there are around 400 elephants here. The park is also home to the elusive leopard, the Sri Lankan sloth bear, the cheeky langur monkey and varies types of deer. Go in search of wildlife on an afternoon game drive.
Day 7 - Colombo Udawalawe National Park - Colombo. Return to Colombo this morning with a visit to the Gem Mine and Museum at Ratnapura en route. Sri Lanka is famous for its gem industry and is home to 40 out of the 85 types of gems that exist in the world.
Arriving into Colombo, enjoy a guided tour of the capital. Take in the Fort area in the north of the city which is famous for its government buildings and interesting shops. See the unique Gangarama Temple and take a stroll along Galle Face Green, a popular spot for kite flying and games of cricket.
Day 8 - Bentota and Beruwala Colombo - Beruwala/Bentota. After breakfast, it's a short drive south along Sri Lanka's idyllic West Coast to the popular holiday resorts of Beruwala and neighbouring Bentota. Spend the final days of your holiday relaxing by the beach.
Day 9-11 - Bentota and Beruwala Sri Lanka's beautiful palm fringed beaches are without a doubt its biggest draw card, and once you set eyes on them you’ll understand why. Nestled on the Indian Ocean coast with warm crystal clear waters and golden sands, Beruwela and Bentota offer travellers a whole host of water sports from snorkelling and scuba diving, to water skiing and surfing – the choice if yours. Indulge in a glass of Toddy – a local coconut flavoured tipple, head to the spa and opt for an Ayurveda treatment which the area is famous for, or simply while away the days on the beach with a cocktail in hand.
Day 12 - Colombo Beruwala/Bentota - Colombo. Today your tropical island adventure comes to an end. Departure transfer to Colombo Airport for your onward international flight.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 23 October 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans