South Australia Outback Adventure
From 02/09/2022 to 11/11/2023
Watch the night sky come alive as you enjoy a campfire dinner and learn about the stories and traditions of the First Nations Adnyamathanha people who are the traditional custodians of the Flinders Ranges.
Enjoy a subterranean stay in Coober Pedy, the opal capital of Australia, in underground accommodation which is cool, comfortable and unique to this part of the South Australian outback.
Soak up the scenic beauty of the Clare Valley, one of Australia’s most famous wine regions, and sample Rieslings and other fine wines.
Drive into the remote South Australian Outback and bounce along the famous Oodnadatta Track to William Creek where you can enjoy a cold beer and check out the unique "museum" of memorabilia across the street.
Breakfasts Included: 7.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 2.
Motel (1 night),Underground hotel (2 nights),Hotel (2 nights),Permanent tented camp (2 nights),Resort (2 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Woomera - Lake Hart.
Woomera - Heritage & Visitor Information Centre.
Coober Pedy - Josephine's Gallery & Kangaroo Orphanage.
Coober Pedy - Underground Home, Church & Historic Mine Visit.
Coober Pedy - Kanku-Breakaways Conservation Park & Dingo Fence.
Marree - Leader-led Local History Walk.
Stuarts Creek - Wabma Kadarbu Mound Spring Conservation Park.
Lake Eyre - Picnic Lunch.
Iga Warta - Cultural Cookout Dinner & Campfire.
Iga Warta - Adnyamathanha Cultural Activities.
Farina - Restoration Project.
Arkaroola - Bushwalk & Picnic Lunch.
Wilpena Pound - Welcome to Country by Adnyamathanha Local.
Wilpena Pound - Bushwalk.
Auburn - Wine Tasting.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Adelaide / Port Pirie / Port Augusta Welcome to Adelaide! Your tour starts at 8:00 am with a group meeting at our start point hotel. Then head out of town towards Port Augusta. Stop at pretty pink Lake Bumbunga on the way to Snowtown. After a look around Fourth St and Railway Terrace, continue your journey to Port Pirie for a tour and lunch, hopefully at Solomontown Beach if the weather is good. On arrival at Port Augusta, you may like to enjoy an optional visit to the Wadlata Outback Centre or the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Gardens. This evening, enjoy a relaxing night in Port Augusta at the Crossroads Eco Motel.
Day 2 - Woomera / Coober Pedy Enjoy breakfast at a café in town before the drive to Woomera, a town that was purpose-built for testing rockets in the 1940s. Learn about nuclear and non-nuclear rocket testing and more at the Woomera Heritage and Visitor Information Centre. There is time for lunch before the short drive to Lake Hart, one of the region’s salt lakes. When you arrive in Coober Pedy, you could stroll around town, search out some street art, find a bar or buy jewellery as a souvenir. You are in the opal capital of Australia, after all. Tonight, you may choose to join your tour group for dinner at a local bar that offers up incredible views of the Breakaways and Coober Pedy.
Day 3 - Coober Pedy Spend your day exploring in and around Coober Pedy including a tour of an underground home, an underground church and a historic mine. In the late afternoon, visit Josephine’s Gallery which specialises in Aboriginal art and also doubles as a kangaroo orphanage. Here you can meet kangaroos and other native wildlife such as wombats and birds which are looked after by wildlife carers.
Day 4 - Coober Pedy / William Creek Head to Kanku-Breakaways Conservation Park which is a registered Aboriginal heritage site and see the dog fence, also know as the dingo fence, before travelling back to Coober Pedy for optional lunch at a local café. Drive into the remote South Australian Outback proper, along a rough dirt road to William Creek where you can enjoy a cold beer and check out the "museum" of memorabilia across the street. Tonight, you may choose to join your tour group for dinner at the local pub.
Day 5 - Oodnadatta Track / Marree Perhaps enjoy an early morning scenic flight to see the Outback from a different angle, or sleep in before breakfast. Your leader will be able to help you book a flight if you are keen. Continue your drive deeper into the remote desert landscape to Lake Eyre via the legendary and famous Oodnadatta Track, with a stop at Wabma Kadarbu Mound Spring Conservation Park along the way. Stop at Lake Eyre for a picnic lunch before getting back on the road. If the group fancies it, you can stop off at Coward Springs, home to a charming museum and a natural spa – a welcome reprieve among the desert landscape. Continue to Marree, where on arrival you’ll stroll around town to see historical sites such as the old Afghan Mosque and remnants of the Historical Ghan Railway. Your leader will give you the background on local history.
Day 6 - Farina / Flinders Ranges / Iga Warta After breakfast, drive to Farina Town. A once booming oasis on the edge of the desert, Farina Town boasted a population of around 600 towards the end of the 19th century, but things look a little different today – the town has a year-round population of just two people. Despite its ghost town status, Farina is home to a popular underground bakery which is opened once a year by the Farina Restoration Project Group to raise funds to rebuild the town. If your visit lines up with its opening, stop by this unique bakery and take a wander around the town where stone ruins remain. Then, head to Iga Warta where you will spend the day and evening learning about Adnyamathanha culture and gaining a deeper appreciation of Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park. Lunch is followed by a tour to an ancient painting site with a Traditional Owner and a cultural cookout dinner where you will enjoy a traditional meal along with music and Adnyamathanha Yura Muda (cultural stories and language).
Day 7 - Flinders Ranges / Iga Warta After breakfast at Iga Warta, join your leader for a bush walk at Arkaroola. Choose from hikes such as the Bararranna Gorge Walk, Loop Walk, or the four-hour Mawson Spriggina Walk. Stop for a picnic lunch along the way and take in the scenery before driving back to Iga Warta. After dinner, sit around the campfire for a night of storytelling, singing and a damper supper served with quandong jam and billy tea.
Day 8 - Flinders Ranges / Wilpena Pound After breakfast at Iga Warta, continue driving to the famous Wilpena Pound (Ikara), the centre piece of the Flinders Ranges and home to the Adnyamathanha people for thousands of years. After lunch, join your leader for a walk around Old Wilpena Station. Operating between 1851 and 1985, this former pastoral settlement provides a special glimpse into what rural life once looked like within the Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park. Back at the Wilpena Pound Resort, you may receive a Welcome to Country in Yura Ngawarla, the language of the Adnyamathanha people, and listen to Aboriginal songs and traditional stories. Tonight, enjoy a relaxing evening at the resort.
Day 9 - Flinders Ranges / Wilpena Pound After breakfast, join your leader for another bushwalk. You may decide to hike to the Wangara Lookout, take a shorter walk to Hills Homestead or spend the day swimming in the pool or enjoying other activities around the resort.
Day 10 - Clare Valley / Adelaide After breakfast, depart for Auburn, a village on the edge of the Clare Valley wine region. Stop for a wine tasting at a winery which is housed in an old railway station. Grab lunch at one of the cafes in Auburn before, see the Silo Art at Farrell Flat and Owen before continuing to Adelaide where your journey will come to an end.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 18 August 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans