Premium New Zealand North Island
From 15/09/2022 to 25/05/2023
Sip your way around Waiheke Island off the shores of Auckland during an Exclusive Experience, visiting three cellar doors to learn about their production methods and sample some seriously excellent wine.
Discover a magical underground world during a tour of the Waitomo Glow Worm Caves, then experience the geothermal wonders of Rotorua, from bubbling hot springs to geysers and mud pools.
Enjoy a fascinating Exclusive Experience as you take a trip to Middle-earth and tour Hobbiton, where the iconic Lord of the Rings movies were shot.
Be amazed by Tongariro National Park as you spend the day exploring its volcanic landscapes, then retire to your chateau-style Feature Stay where you can sit back and soak in views of Tongariro’s dazzling peaks.
Get a special look at New Zealand’s trendy capital city, Wellington, during an Exclusive Experience on board a private catamaran, cruising around its delightful harbour.
Breakfasts Included: 7.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 2.
Resort (3 nights),Hotel (4 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Auckland - Welcome Dinner.
Waiheke Island - Day Trip by Ferry.
Waiheke Island - Winery Visits with Wine Tasting & Lunch.
Hobbiton - Visit to the Lord of the Rings Movie Set.
Waitomo - Ruakuri Glow Worm Cave Visit.
Rotorua - Visit to Te Puia Geothermal Area with Local Guide & Hangi Lunch.
Rotorua - Ahua Gallery & Kiwi Conservation Centre.
Tongariro National Park - Sky Waka Gondola Ride to Summit of Mt Ruapehu.
Tongariro National Park - Taranaki Falls.
Wellington - Evening Cruise on Wellington Harbour.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Auckland Welcome to the North Island! Your adventure begins in Auckland, New Zealand’s most populated city, fringed with beaches, harbours, volcanoes and farmland. You’ll be collected from the airport and transferred to your hotel. A welcome meeting will take place here at 6pm, where you’ll meet your local leader and the other travellers joining you on this adventure. If you arrive in Auckland with time to spare, you may like to uncover the story of New Zealand rugby during an interactive All Blacks experience where you’ll learn about the heritage of the sport and find out what it takes to wear the famous black jersey. After your meeting, get to know your group over dinner at an atmospheric local bistro in the heart of the city, championing New Zealand producers.
Day 2 - Waiheke Island / Auckland Leave the bustle of the big city behind and head offshore to Waiheke Island, famed for its sandy beaches and glorious wine. Board a ferry from Auckland – if you’re really lucky you may even see dolphins or orcas along the way. The day will be spent sipping your way around the island, stopping off at three unique wineries to learn about their production methods, and of course tasting the goods yourself. You’ll also enjoy an included lunch on the island, not to mention a few scenic drives with plenty of opportunities for beautiful photos. Return to Auckland in the late afternoon with an evening free for your own discoveries of the city.
Day 3 - Waitomo / Hobbiton / Rotorua After breakfast this morning, hit the road and drive to the Waitomo Glow Worm Caves, an extensive underground network of tunnels and caverns decorated with stalactites, stalagmites and luminous glow worms. Join a local expert for an in-depth tour of the Ruakuri Cave, descending a spiral entrance to a magical world below. Discover fascinating limestone formations, hear the roar of subterranean waterfalls and learn about the glow worms that light up the caves. Continue to Hobbiton, where the epic Lord of the Rings movies were shot. Take a tour around the set with a local guide, hear stories about the production of these iconic films, explore Hobbit holes, then perhaps enjoy a drink at the mythical Green Dragon Inn. Finally, travel to Rotorua, where you will spend the evening.
Day 4 - Rotorua Wake up in Rotorua to the unmistakable scent of sulphur coming off the town’s many geothermal pools. After breakfast, pay a visit to Te Puia, over 70 hectares of land within the Te Whakarewarewa Geothermal Valley, dotted with hot springs, mud pools and geysers. A local expert will take you on a walk to learn about these geothermal wonders, including Pohutu, the largest geyser in the southern hemisphere. Next experience the Kiwi Conservation Centre where you’ll have the chance to observe the beloved nocturnal bird in a darkened enclosure and learn about the sanctuary’s efforts to protect them. Swing by the Ahua Gallery and watch culturally significant Maori carving and weaving demonstrations. Lunch is a treat today - a traditional hangi feast cooked beneath the earth in traditional style. In the evening, perhaps consider an optional tour of the geysers by night.
Day 5 - Taupo Say goodbye to Rotorua and drive on to Taupo, sitting on the shores of Lake Taupo – the largest lake in New Zealand. The rest of the day is yours to discover all that this picturesque part of the country has to offer. One of the best ways to enjoy the lake is to get on its waters – speak to your leader to find out about the sustainable sailing and cruising options available to you this afternoon. You may like to try your hand at fishing, or perhaps take a flight over the spectacular Tongariro National Park.
Day 6 - Tongariro National Park Today will be spent uncovering the natural wonders of Tongariro National Park, as spiritually significant as it is spectacular. Your leader will guide you on a scenic two-hour walk to the Taranaki Falls, an impressive 20-metre cascade tumbling over volcanic cliffs. Then it’s time for a ride with a view – take the Sky Waka gondola up the top of Mt Ruapehu and be treated to some truly unforgettable scenes on the way. Later in the day, head to your Feature Stay accommodation at the Powderhorn Chateau and settle in. The chateau provides a stunning base for the evening, surrounded by the soaring peaks of Ruapehu, Ngauruhoe and Tongariro – the views are simply unbeatable.
Day 7 - Wellington This morning, make tracks for Wellington, New Zealand’s trendy capital city. After settling in, hop aboard a private catamaran and get to know the city on an evening cruise around Wellington Harbour. If weather allows, the sails will be raised and the motor switched off, allowing you to peacefully enjoy the landscape. Sail past Point Halswell as the crew point out important landmarks along the way. Be sure to keep your eyes on the water too – a lucky few have spotted dolphins, penguins, orcas, gannets and seals in the harbour! Return to land after an hour and join your group for dinner at a fantastic waterfront restaurant – the perfect chance to reminisce about your North Island adventure.
Day 8 - Wellington Your North Island adventure comes to an end after breakfast this morning. If you would like to spend more time exploring Wellington, just get in touch in advance and we’d be happy to arrange additional accommodation (subject to availability). Alternatively, combine this trip with Premium New Zealand South Island for the ultimate tour of this special land. Search Premium New Zealand Encompassed PHPZC, or speak with your booking agent for more details.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 08 July 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans