Amritsar - 4 Days
From 2022-08-13 to 2022-12-20
3 nights STANDARD hotels.
SUPERIOR and DELUXE hotel options are also available upon request.
Accommodation rating – See Trip Notes for details.
Touring - Amritsar and Wagah excursion.
Services of English-speaking Indian specialist guides for all included sight-seeing.
Entrance fees for all included sightseeing.
Return train journey from Delhi to Amritsar (seated air-conditioned).
All relevant transfer and transportation in private modern Chauffeur driven air-conditioned vehicles.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Delhi Delhi - Amritsar. Early morning transfer to the railway station to board the Shatabdi Express train to Amritsar (air-conditioned chair car). You will be met upon arrival and transferred to your hotel. Afternoon is at leisure.
Please Note: Before securing your international flights, please contact us so to re-confirm the exact train arrival and departure times for this holiday.
Day 2 - Amritsar Amritsar is one of Punjab’s principal cities and is renowned for it’s world famous Golden Temple, the seat of Sikh religion built by Maharaja Ranjit Singh in 1803. The religion’s adherents don’t cut their hair. The men are easily identified by their turbans, beards and silver bracelets. The women by their salwaar kameez, a dress-and pants combination that has become popular throughout India.
This morning we enjoy a sightseeing tour of historic Amritsar, including the Golden Temple and Jallianwala Bagh. Amritsar’s main attraction - the beautiful Golden Temple, is made of white marble, bronze and gold leaf. To enter the temple itself, you must don a traditional headscarf, wade through a shallow pool (a purification ritual) and merge with the mass of bodies that circle the embankment around the holy structure.
The lower half of the Golden Temple is covered with marble and the upper with copper, overlaid with pure gold leaf, thus the name “The Golden Temple”. The Golden Temple has four entrances and the walls are inlaid with semi-precious stones in floral patterns, frescoes and glasswork.
Situated on the northwestern border of India, the city is also the gateway for travellers on the overland route through Pakistan. The Jallianwala Bagh is a particularly sacred place for all Indians today, as it is associated with a poignant episode in India’s freedom struggle. Besides a thriving industry, Punjab is also known for handicrafts and handlooms. This evening is at your leisure.
Day 3 - Wagah Border - pomp & performance Enjoy a free morning to relax or explore Amritsar independently. This afternoon travel approximately 28km to Wagah, which is the only border crossing between India and Pakistan. Visiting Wagah is an interesting experience especially at sunset when the ‘Retreat’ ceremony takes place with the BSF on the Indian Side of the Border. The changing of the guards and the ceremonial lowering of the flags ceremony is carried out with great pomp.
Day 4 - Delhi Amritsar - Delhi. Free time today to independently explore, shop or simply relax and soak up the atmosphere. This evening we transfer to the railway station to board our train back to Delhi, arriving shortly before midnight. You will be met upon arrival and transferred to your Delhi hotel or to the airport to meet your onward flight.
If you'd like to extend your stay, we offer a variety of hotels, short stays and add-ons for you to choose from. Please read our best places to visit or [[best things to see each month|126647]] for suggested places to visit on your holiday. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, please let us know so we can accommodate your request.
For information about visas, top travel tips, best time to travel and much more, browse our [[travel guide|126581]].
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 18 August 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans