Mount Toubkal Winter Trek
From 03/03/2024 to 03/01/2026
Experience the High Atlas Mountains with a wintery twist – expect snow-capped peaks, icy groundcover, refreshing mountain air and clear skies that lead all the way to the ocean.
Summit the highest peak in North Africa, the majestic Mount Toubkal, with an experienced local guide to lead the way.
Hike through the rugged mountains with spectacular scenery at every turn and a trusty pack of mules heading up your crew.
Enjoy traditional Moroccan cuisine, freshly cooked each day, to fuel you for your epic mountain adventures.
Embrace the vibrant souks, sights, sounds and smells of Marrakech on a guided walking tour of the Medina.
By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, Education for All.
Donations help them support girls in the High Atlas Mountains through secondary school, bringing a generation of women out of the cycle of illiteracy, poverty and early marriage.
Breakfasts Included: 6.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 4.
Hotel (2 nights),Mountain Gite (2 nights),Mountain Refuge (2 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Imlil to Aroumd guided trek.
Imlil to Mount Toubkal Basecamp guided hike.
Mount Toubkal guided summit trek.
High Atlas guided trek (Ras Ouanoukrim or Tizi n’ Ouagane).
Marrakech - Medina walking tour.
Itinerary / more information
1 - Marrakech Salaam Aleikum! Welcome to Morocco, a country filled with culture, friendly locals and incredible landscapes. If you arrive in Marrakech with time to spare you might like to spend your day wandering through the vibrant souks with their labyrinth of markets or head to a rooftop caf? to enjoy the sights from above over a traditional mint tea. Our adventure together begins with a welcome meeting today at 6 pm where you'll meet your fellow travellers and local group leader. After the meeting you have the option to join your leader on a jaunt to Djemaa el-Fna, the square in the centre of the Medina. Huge crowds converge at night to see singers, drummers, fortune tellers and dancers while snacking on street food - it's a sight not to miss.
2 - Imlil to Aroumd trek Rise and shine for breakfast and a group meeting at 8 am where your leader will go through everything you need to know about the trek before you set off into the mountains. Leave Marrakech behind and drive across the plains towards the ancient marketplace of Tahanaoute, with incredible views of valleys below and the Atlas Mountains along the way. First up, arrive at Imlil village, which is 1740 metres above sea level. From here, our first walk starts with a gentle trek along the side of the hills, with a great view of the valley ahead and (hopefully) a glimpse of the marvellous Mount Toubkal along the way. We hike to our mountain base in the village of Aroumd (2000 metres above sea level) where we'll stay in a traditional village house with dormitory-style rooms called a gite. Rooms are furnished in traditional Berber style with low couches (which can be used as beds), tables, carpets and cushions. In the afternoon, stretch your legs with a gentle orientation walk around Aroumd.
3 - Aroumd to Toubkal Base Camp Wake with excitement this morning as you begin your ascent of Mt Toubkal, North Africa's highest peak. From Armoud the trail crosses the floodplain of the Ait Mizane Valley, before climbing steeply in a zigzag up the mountainside. All baggage is carried by mule today. Used to plough fields, carry loads, turn threshing machines and ferry people between villages, mules are an indispensable part of Amazigh life. Along the way, pass the pilgrimage site of Sidi Chamarouch, home to the tomb of the local marabout (Muslim holy man). Only Muslims are permitted to cross the bridge and approach the large white stone that serves as a shrine. Once you reach Sidi Chamarouch, it's likely you'll encounter snow (a Winter treat) and begin hiking with powder as we climb steeply through a series of switchbacks and traverse the flank of the valley above the river. If you are inexperienced with using crampons, your leader will help you with a few simple tricks to make the hike easier today. Finally, we'll arrive at Toubkal Base Camp at Neltner (3207 metres above sea level) and enjoy a hearty dinner. Make sure you get plenty of sleep before tomorrow's big ascent day.
4 - Mt Toubkal summit trek Embrace an early start this morning and tackle the rocky terrain that leads to the summit of Mt Toubkal. Gear up with crampons and a head torch (and spare batteries) to start this morning's hike across snowy, perhaps icy terrain. Take in the beautiful silence of the morning while you make your way up steep terrain to the col. Once you reach it, the steepness of the climb calms but the winds often pick up here so be sure to have your hard shell handy in your day pack. Now you are up for a final climb, likely with rising sun on your right-hand side. At 4167 metres above sea level, this is truly the roof of North Africa. Your efforts are rewarded by superb views from the summit, which on a clear day can include the entire Atlas Mountain range, the Atlantic coast to the west and the Sahara Desert to the east. After a rest at the summit and time spent marvelling at the incredible views, make your way back to Base Camp.
5 - Toubkal Base Camp to Aroumd Today, your group leader will choose a guided trek that's best suited to the day's conditions. If yesterday's trek to Mount Toubkal was unsuccessful, today may indeed be the time to try again. If you're already happy conquerors of the great Mount Toubkal, your leader may opt for yet another guided trek up to Tizi n' Ouagane and perhaps Ras Ouanoukrim - the third highest mountain of Northern Africa. After descending to Base Camp, you'll fuel up with a hearty lunch before heading back to Aroumd, where your local host will be waiting to welcome you back with a dinner to celebrate your achievements in the High Atlas Mountains.
6 - Aroumd to Imlil and Marrakech After breakfast, take one last glimpse at the valley and marvel at those high summits you conquered in last couple of days. Then head back to Imlil and make your way back to Marrakech. After a short check in, embark on a guided walking tour of the Medina, including the vibrant souks devoted to different trades such as pottery, woodwork, carpets or spices. The rest of your time in the city is free for you to make your own discoveries. One thing you might like to try after days spent hiking high in the mountains is a traditional Moroccan bath. Your leader can advise you where to find the best hammam. Perhaps head to a traditional Moroccan restaurant and swap your favourite travel stories with your group members tonight before going your separate ways tomorrow.
7 - Marrakech Our adventure together ends after breakfast today. If you wish to spend more time in Marrakech, an Intrepid booking agent be happy to secure additional accommodation for you (subject to availability).
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 February 2024 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans