Hiking and Backpacking North Carolina's Appalachian Trail
From 26/04/2024 to 16/10/2024
Enjoy a delicious dinner prepared by your leader as you watch the sunset from the comfort of your camp on the summit of Shining Rock.
Take in spectacular views on the hike to the summit of Cold Mountain which features in Charles Frazier’s historic fiction novel of the same name.
Take in sweeping views of the Appalachian Mountain Range as you enjoy lunch on the summit of one of the peaks or in the grassy meadows of Ivestor Gap.
Stop at Looking Glass Falls, a stunning roadside waterfall, and watch the water tumbling over the top of a high cliff to create an impressively wide cascade.
Enjoy scenic vistas galore as you make your way along a trail that showcases views of the entire Pisgah National Forest.
Breakfasts Included: 3.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 2.
Backcountry camping (2 nights).
Age: min 12.
Group Size: 1 - 8.
Shuttle from Asheville.
Looking Glass Falls visit.
Art Loeb Trail hike.
Tennent Mountain climb & lunch.
Shining Rock summit sunset dinner.
Guided Backpacking experience.
Cold Mountain climb & lunch.
Shining Rock Gap hike.
Pisgah National Forest hike.
Shuttle to Asheville.
Itinerary / more information
1 - Blue Ridge Mountains After a pick up from downtown Asheville, your trip begins with a drive through the city of Brevard and a stop at an amazing roadside attraction, Looking Glass Falls. From here it is a short drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway to the start of the Art Loeb Trail and its mighty mountain peaks. Cross over Black Balsam Knob and Tennent Mountain and take in the sweeping views of the surrounding Appalachian Mountain Range as you enjoy lunch on the summit of one of these peaks or in the grassy meadows of Ivestor Gap. After hiking onwards to our two night basecamp near Shining Rock Gap, you will enjoy a memorable sunset dinner on the summit of Shining Rock.
2 - Blue Ridge Mountains Today there are two different ways to enjoy the Appalachian High country. The first option is a hike to an amazing summit view from atop Cold Mountain which features in Charles Frazier's historic fiction novel of the same name. After lunch at the summit, hike back toward Shining Rock Gap and your scenic camp. Your second (easier) option is to simply shorten this hike to turn around and have lunch along a scenic ridgeline called "the Narrows". This shorter hike allows extra time to relax and explore the quartzite rock outcroppings of Shining Rock before the return to camp. Please note, your tour leader will decided, together with the group, which option is best for everyone.
3 - Blue Ridge Mountains Today you will break down camp and work our way back to where you began our trek. On the way, stop and enjoy multiple views along the trail which allow us to take in all of Pisgah National Forest. Today's lunch is at one of the many amazing viewpoints of the famous Blue Ridge Parkway, before the short drive back to Asheville where your trip will come to an end.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 December 2023 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans