Mount Toubkal Long Weekend Trek
From 09/05/2024 to 30/09/2024
Challenge yourself to the feat of climbing the highest summit in North Africa in just a couple of days – all under the watchful eye of an expert guide and a local support team.
Spend a night in an authentic mountain refuge at Toubkal base camp with like-minded trekkers and wake up bright and early to start the climb before dawn – sunrise, anyone?.
Hike through the rugged High Atlas Mountains with your pack mules and drink in the incredible scenery – with views across the mountain ranges as well as the Sahara Desert and Atlantic coast.
Experience local life after hiking to your accommodation – a traditional gite (mountain home) in an Amazigh village, nestled high in the Atlas Mountains.
Celebrate your summit with a homecooked meal full of Moroccan favourites.
Explore Djemaa el-Fna Square in Marrakech and be charmed by the performers, dancers, colourful merchants and exotic smells coming from the many street food carts and bazaars – then, explore the gorgeous Bahia Palace.
By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, Education for All.
Donations help them support girls in the High Atlas Mountains through secondary school, bringing a generation of women out of the cycle of illiteracy, poverty and early marriage.
Breakfasts Included: 4.
Lunches Included: 1.
Dinners Included: 3.
Hotel (2 nights),Mountain Gite (1 night),Mountain Refuge (1 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Imlil to Mount Toubkal Basecamp guided hike.
Mount Toubkal guided summit trek.
Toubkal Base Camp to Aroumd guided hike.
Marrakech - Medina walking tour.
Aroumd to Imlil guided hike.
Itinerary / more information
1 - Marrakech Salaam Aleikum! Welcome to Morocco. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm tonight, where you'll meet your fellow trekkers and trip leader. After, you might like to join your leader on a jaunt to Djemaa el-Fna Square in the centre of the medina. Huge crowds converge at night to see the singers, drummers, fortune tellers, snake charmers, dancers and bustling street food bazaars all vying for attention. This square is one of the largest public meeting places in the world, so you're sure to find something that catches your eye tonight.
2 - Imlil to Toubkal Base Camp Rise and shine nice and early today for breakfast and a briefing at 8 am. Your leader will go through everything you need to know about today's trek before you set off into the mountains. Leave Marrakech behind and drive across the plains with awesome views of valleys and the Atlas Mountains along the way. Arrive at Imlil, a mountainous village 1740 metres above sea level and stop for a traditional mint tea or orange juice. From here, you'll hike through the village of Aroumd, 2000 metres above sea level, and onto Mount Toubkal base camp. From Aroumd, the trail crosses the floodplain of the Ait Mizane Valley, before climbing steeply in a sharp zigzag up the mountainside. Climb through a series of switchbacks and traverse the flank of the valley above the river. Stop along the way to catch your breath (and another refreshing orange juice with snacks). Arrive at base camp, 3207 metres above sea level and enjoy an early, hearty dinner with your fellow trekkers. Make sure you get plenty of sleep before the big ascent tomorrow (or late tonight).
3 - Mount Toubkal Summit Grab your headlamp and embrace a (very) early start this morning, as you'll be tackling the rocky terrain that leads to the summit of Mount Toubkal. At 4167 metres above sea level, this is truly the roof of North Africa. Take in the beautiful silence of the morning while you make the challenging climb, which can involve some scrambling. Your effort is rewarded by superb views from the summit, which on a clear day can include the entire Atlas Mountain range, the Atlantic coast to the west and the Sahara Desert to the east. After a rest at the summit and time spent marvelling at the view, descend to base camp. You'll fuel up with a hearty lunch before heading back to Aroumd, the mountain village you passed on the way up. This is where your local host will be waiting to welcome you with a homecooked dinner to celebrate your achievements in the High Atlas Mountains. If you have the energy, maybe head out on a slow-paced walk around the village and explore the gorgeous mountain scenery from a different perspective, or indulge yourself in local hammam experience.
4 - Aroumd to Marrakech After breakfast, take one last glimpse at the valley and marvel at those high summits you conquered over the last couple of days. Then head back to Imlil and make your way back to Marrakech. In the afternoon, embark on a guided walking tour of the medina, including souqs devoted to different trades such as pottery, woodwork, carpets or spices. Then, continue to the 19th-century Bahia Palace and spend some time admiring the architecture. The rest of your time in the city is free for you to make your own discoveries. If you're keen to experience a traditional Moroccan bath, your leader can advise you where to find the nearest hammam. If you've enjoyed your taste of Moroccan cuisine so far, maybe indulge your inner foodie with a Taste of Marrakesh Urban Adventure tour.
5 - Marrakech Your adventure ends after breakfast this morning. If you wish to spend more time in Marrakech, just speak to your booking agent.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 December 2023 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans