Real California Coastal Road Trip
From 23/05/2024 to 16/09/2024
Behold the beauty of Big Sur as you drive along California’s northern coastline, stopping to see the magical McWay Falls located on a beach that’s closed to public access.
Ride Ferris wheels, rollercoasters and other fairground delights during stops at Santa Monica Pier and the Santa Cruz Boardwalk.
Rub shoulders with Hollywood royalty – or at least their lookalikes – as you begin your journey in the glitz and glamour of Los Angeles, visiting the vibrant Venice Beach.
Sleep under the stars in Monterey and along California’s Central Coast, getting up close to Mother Nature as you join in on the communal camping experience.
Join in on the optional food kitty with your fellow travellers and enjoy camp cooking and picnic lunches while keeping costs down.
Hostel (multishare) (1 night),Camping (with facilities) (2 nights).
Age: min 18, max 29.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Visit Santa Monica Pier.
California Coastal Highway 1.
Los Angeles - Venice Beach.
Big Sur - Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park.
San Francisco - Leader-led city tour.
Half Moon Bay.
Santa Cruz Boardwalk.
Itinerary / more information
1 - Los Angeles Welcome to Los Angeles! The City of Angels needs no introduction and will play host to the start of your coastal Californian experience. Your adventure will begin with an important welcome meeting at 6 pm, but if you arrive earlier there's no shortage of sights to keep you occupied. Stroll along the Hollywood Walk of Fame, experience the food markets of Downtown LA or head to one of the many theme parks in the area - the choice is yours!
2 - Central Coast Head to Venice Beach this morning for your first taste of the sea breeze. Home to the iconic Muscle Beach gym - and known for the many walks of life that grace the boardwalk - you'll be free to explore this free-spirited slice of LA for yourself. Whether you stop by the Venice Beach skatepark, ride the Ferris wheel at Santa Monica Pier or try out a local eatery, there's plenty on offer! Then, swap spaghetti junctions for seaside views as you drive north, stopping at coastal viewpoints to stretch your legs and snap some pictures. Pismo Beach will provide a picturesque final pit stop before you set up camp for the night.
3 - Monterey Area Continuing north along the Pacific Coast Highway, today you'll take in some of the finest natural scenery California has to offer. Big Sur doesn't do things by halves, with this famous stretch of coastline sandwiched between soaring redwoods and endless ocean. Taking it slow to soak in the views (and maybe spot an elephant seal or two), there'll also be a stop at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. An almost-flat hike will take you to a view of the magical McWay Falls - an 80-foot drop that flows directly into the Pacific during high tide. The seaside city of Monterey will then provide your camping ground for the night.
4 - San Francisco Trading one all-American experience for another, the Santa Cruz Boardwalk awaits! Let your inner child run free on a variety of fairground rides or go the full nine yards and treat yourself to a funnel cake. Later, Half Moon Bay's coastal charm will provide a moment of respite after the morning's madness before you follow the road to your final stop at San Francisco. A guided tour of the vibrant city will help you get your bearings, and then it's time to bid farewell to your fellow travellers as your adventure comes to an end, and no accommodation is provided tonight. As there's a great deal to do in San Francisco, we recommend you stay a couple of extra days to make the most of the city. If you do wish to spend extra time in San Francisco, we'll be happy to help you book additional accommodation (subject to availability).
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 December 2023 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans