One Week In Costa Rica
From 17/02/2024 to 03/01/2026
Explore Cahuita National Park on a hike through the lush vegetation and coastal beaches (where you can take a dip) and look out for the abundant wildlife on the land and in the sky.
Take part in a Caribbean cooking class in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca and sit down for lunch with the locals – a blend of African, Indigenous and Spanish flavours mixed with coconut milk, spices, fruits, curry and seafood.
Enjoy plenty of free time to choose your own adventure – maybe hike through the lush forest of La Fortuna, go wildlife spotting near Arenal Volcano or explore Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve looking out for sloths.
Kick back on the Caribbean coast in Puerto Viejo, surrounded by vibrant coral reefs – the perfect spot for some swimming, snorkelling, surfing or relaxing under the shade of palm trees.
Start and end your trip in San Jose, the urban centre of Costa Rica, to balance out the outdoor adventure with some nightlife, bar hopping, markets and museums.
By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, the Adelante Foundation.
Donations help them empower female entrepreneurs from low-income parts of Honduras to grow their businesses and build a livelihood with microfinance.
Dinners Included: 1.
Hotel (7 nights).
Shared Vehicle,Private Vehicle,Public Bus,Boat.
Age: min 18, max 29.
Group Size: 1 - 16.
Cahuita National Park - Entrance.
Cahuita National Park - Hike.
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca - Coastal Bicycle ride.
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca - Caribbean Cooking Demonstration.
San Jose - Leader-led orientation walk.
Itinerary / more information
1 - San Jose Hola! Welcome to Costa Rica. Your adventure begins in San Jose, home to a lively cultural atmosphere and heaps to do. If you arrive early (it's recommended that you stay an extra few days), maybe explore the markets - you might even be lucky enough to see a spontaneous art fair! If history is your thing, maybe head to the Gold Museum to see the collection of Indigenous gold art. Perhaps visit Arte Contemporaneo if you're an art lover or get your first taste of the rich coffee that Costa Rica is known for in a nearby coffee shop. You'll have a welcome meeting at 6 pm tonight at your hotel. After, maybe head out to a local restaurant or the Central Market where you can pick up some fresh seafood.
2 - Monteverde Take an early public bus to Monteverde this morning - this area was initially used as an environmentally conscious agricultural community and has now been transformed into the internationally recognised Cloud Forest Reserve. Make the most of your free time in lush Monteverde, maybe exploring the cloud forest at night with a local guide or heading out on a zip lining adventure. There are also several local communities that operate co-ops here, which are well worth the visit. Maybe walk through the canopy on suspension bridges or watch butterflies in the Butterfly Garden and Insects Farm. If food and coffee are more your thing, maybe head out on a chocolate and coffee tour.
3 - La Fortuna This morning, head out on any active or leisurely adventures that you didn't get the chance to explore yesterday. The forest near Monteverde has near-constant cloud cover, providing consistent rainfall, which gives this area an enchanted feeling. Maybe spend your time on a nature hike and look out for hummingbirds, sloths and the infamous (and seldom seen) quetzal birds. After, you'll drive to Lake Arenal and take a boat to La Fortuna - a small but vibrant town with abundant hot springs and natural pools. For dinner tonight, maybe grab a dinner with your fellow travellers at a local restaurant, trying some sopa negra (black bean soup) or pozole (stew made from pork, hominy, cilantro, bell peppers and achiote).
4 - La Fortuna Enjoy a free day to explore La Fortuna today. Maybe you'd like to take a day trip out of town and go white water rafting. Costa Rica is renowned for its natural beauty, so an adrenaline-filled adventure on the action-packed rivers is highly recommended! Alternatively, stay in La Fortuna and head out on a hike through the lush surrounding forest or go stand-up paddleboarding on Lake Arenal to enjoy the incredible backdrop of Arenal Volcano from a new perspective. If you're an animal lover, look out for coatimundis, racoons and toucans across the water on a boat tour of Cano Negro Reserve. Soaking in the local thermal hot springs is a popular activity here - these natural springs are fed by the volcano that overlooks the city and are the perfect spot to relax and enjoy the surrounding scenery.
5 - Cahuita National Park - Puerto Viejo de Talamanca This morning, leave the volcano behind and take a private transfer to Cahuita National Park, where you'll explore the lush landscape on a 2-hour hike with your leader. You'll also visit the beach here, where you can cool off with an ocean swim or go wildlife spotting, looking out for paca, iguanas, giant blue crabs, racoons, opossums, porcupines and the capuchin monkey. This is a great day for photos - so keep your eye out for that perfect Instagram op! Carry on to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, where you'll spend the night. On the Caribbean seaside, you can spend tonight hopping to different reggae bars and watching the sunset on the palm-fringed beaches.
6 - Puerto Viejo de Talamanca After breakfast this morning, explore the area on a bike ride along the palm-fringed coastal road, stopping at various beaches and inlets as you make your way south. You can visit several beaches today, including Punta Uva Beach, where you can find a little hidden cave with a gorgeous view. Finish your day by getting to know the local cuisine by watching a Caribbean cooking demonstration. Experience a melting pot of culinary traditions using a mix of spices and fruits influenced by local Indigenous, African and Spanish cuisines. Then, return to Puerto Viejo for the evening to hit the bars with your fellow travellers for a drink (or 3).
7 - San Jose Journey back to San Jose and explore the historic buildings and lively artisan markets on an orientation walk with your leader. Once we're done with the morning adventure, the afternoon is all yours. You can go caf?-hopping, hit up some local bars, or just wander around soaking in the local scene. Tonight, maybe get your fellow travellers together for a final group dinner to say your goodbyes, and after that, dive into the vibrant nightlife scene to wrap up this epic journey on a high note.
8 - San Jose After breakfast, there are no activities planned and your trip comes to an end. If you'd like to explore San Jose in more depth, why not book an Urban Adventures tour like the San Jose Bites & Sights tour? Unmask the beauty and culture of contemporary Costa Rican life on this San Jose walking tour that takes you through the busy streets, bustling markets and tranquil parks. If you want to spend more time in San Jose, just speak to your booking agent.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 December 2023 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans