Isle of Wight Discovery - 3 Days
From 2024-04-06 to 2024-10-26
2 nights simple guesthouse (hotel upgrade available).
Escorted by a local driver-guide.
Transportation in 16 seat Mercedes mini-coach with air-conditioning.
Return ferry from Portsmouth to the Isle of Wight.
Entrance to Osborne House.
All road tolls.
14kg luggage - see Trip Notes for details.
Note: This tour is operated in conjunction with our trusted partner and you will join travellers from different operators, not solely On The Go.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1, London
London - Portsmouth - Isle of Wight. Setting off from London, we head south to the coastal city of Portsmouth. There's free time here to climb to the top of Spinnaker Tower for views of the city and the Isle of Wight. You could also follow the historic harbour trails or visit King Henry VIII's warship, the Mary Rose. After a few hours of sightseeing at your own pace, it's time to board the ferry for our crossing to the Isle of Wight. The journey takes less than an hour and you can enjoy drinks and snacks onboard.
Arriving on the Isle of Wight, our first visit is to Quarr Abbey, a beautiful building blending French, Byzantine and Moorish architecture and design. We then make our way to the small village of Shanklin, where the evening is at leisure.
Please note: Check-in closes at 09:00 on day 1 (tour departs at 09:15) - Stance 3, Greenline Coach Terminal London, Bulleid Way, Victoria, London, SW1W 9SH.
No meals included.
Day 2, Isle of Wight
Today we are exploring the Isle of Wight. Departing after breakfast, our first stop is the Yarborough Monument. Celebrating the life of a wealthy earl from the 19th century, this is the tallest monument on the island. We also make a photo stop at Brading Downs, where endless green fields roll across the landscape.
Next we enjoy an included visit to the holiday home of one of England's most famous monarchs - Queen Victoria. She once said of Osborne House "it is harder to imagine a prettier spot" and you will find yourself agreeing with her as you explore the house and its pristine gardens. Built in an Italian style, Osborne House is equally as impressive on the inside, with golden rooms and historically important artefacts and furniture.
From the man-made to the natural, we then visit the main natural feature on the Isle of Wight. The Needles are a series of white stacks protruding from the ocean. Photograph them from the shore or opt for a boat ride out to The Needles for a closer look.
As the sun begins to set, we make a final stop at St Catherine's Down to admire the cliffs and surrounding green valleys. Watch the sunset before we return to Shanklin for the evening.
1 breakfast, no lunch, no dinner included.
Day 3, Portsmouth
Isle of Wight - Portsmouth - Winchester - Runnymede - London. This morning we catch the return ferry back to Portsmouth, and make our way to the historic city of Winchester. Once the capital of Anglo-Saxon England, Winchester is famous for its association with Alfred the Great and is home to a majestic cathedral and the impressive Norman Great Hall. There's free time to take in some of these sights, enjoy a coffee in a quaint local cafe, or browse one or more of the local museums.
Departing Winchester, we have time for a stop in Runnymede. This is where the famous Magna Carta, which limited the power of kings and queens, was signed by King John (renowned as one of England's worst ever kings, and the antagonist in the tale of Robin Hood) in 1215. We then complete our journey to central London, where our tour comes to an end.
Please note: This tour ends at 19:30 - London Victoria Drop Off, Stance 3, Greenline Coach Terminal, Bulleid Way, Victoria, London, SW1W 9SH.
1 breakfast, no lunch, no dinner included.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 February 2024 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans