Peru: Amazon Jungle Short Break
From 09/12/2023 to 30/12/2024
Experience the untouched world of the Amazon rainforest.
Stroll along jungle trails on the lookout for monkeys, parrots, otters and caimans Staying in a cosy nature lodge lit by candles and kerosene lamps, you'll be immersed in the ambience of the jungle, waking up to the twitter and buzz of exotic birds Local staff and multilingual guides allow you to get the most out of this incredible environment.
Pick their brain about the area's flora and fauna as you explore Cruise down the Amazon in a canoe and stalk across lakes in search of rare giant river otters Watch in awe as hundreds of brightly coloured macaws descend on a clay bank for their breakfast – a mysterious daily ritual that's like nothing else.
Breakfasts Included: 3.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 3.
Jungle Lodge (3 nights).
Age: min 5.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Complimentary Airport Arrival Transfer.
Itinerary / more information
1 - Puerto Maldonado Bienvenidos! Welcome to Peru. Please ensure you arrive in Puerto Maldonado no later than 1 pm. A lodge representative will welcome you at the airport. You will then head to the Amazon lodge's office in town (a maximum of 15 minutes by van) to pack the necessary gear for the next few days. Here you can leave most of your luggage in safe storage and continue travelling with a small pack with just the necessary items for your next two nights in the jungle. Then you'll take a motorised canoe upriver (approximately 30 minutes) to your jungle lodge in the Madre de Dios area. Once you arrive, there will be time to unpack and unwind.
2 - Amazon Lodge Start your day with a boat ride (approximately 30 minutes) followed by a short walk (between 25 and 45 minutes). You'll arrive at an oxbow lake in the middle of the rainforest - the habitat of a family of giant otters. Along the way you'll see a variety of jungle fauna - perhaps hoatzins, monkeys, macaws, black caimans, flying parrots, and, if you are lucky, a family of endangered giant river otters (pteronoura brasilienses). In the late morning you will head to the parrot clay lick where birds come here to feed on the salt in the clay. The macaws begin by ceremoniously circling the cliff area. Usually the feeding frenzy lasts 20 to 25 minutes. The salt from the clay is thought to detoxify the birds' fruit diet. After lunch back at the lodge, you'll head back out to the jungle to take a short walk and learn about the medicinal properties and practical uses of the plants. Return to the lodge once again to freshen up, then enjoy some dinner. After dinner there will be an optional night walk through the jungle.
3 - Amazon Lodge Visit a mammal feeding area in the morning. The mammals are known to feed at any time of the day or night, and they're more timid than birds, with less regular routine. As a result, mammals are more difficult to see. This feeding area is visited by white-lipped peccaries, collar peccaries, deer, agouti, squirrels and tapir - see how many of these you can spot. For lunch you will head back to the lodge. In the afternoon, it's time to visita local family farm that has developed traditional and sustainable agriculture. Here you will identify plant species that are typical of the region. Enjoy a final dinner back at the lodge tonight.
4 - Puerto Maldonado Depart the lodge this morning after an early breakfast. You will be taken from the port to the airport, at which point your trip comes to an end. Departure flights for today should be booked for after 11:30 am.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 December 2023 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans