Thailand Hilltribe Trek
From 10/12/2023 to 30/12/2024
Discover real Thai countryside and its people with a 3-day trek into the hills of Northern Thailand.
Local guides deepen the learning and appreciation of different villages, each with their own language, clothing style and belief systems.
Meet and chat with friendly villagers and discover more about their unique cultures.
Stay in atmospheric wooden houses in different hilltribe villages each night.
Explore remote villages, help prepare evening meals, and feast on traditional hilltribe cuisine.
Start and finish in the temple-studded city of Chiang Mai, making this short break adventure an easy add-on to a Northern Thailand journey.
By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, EcoThailand Foundation.
Donations help educate school children on important environmental issues like climate change, nature appreciation, conservation and sustainability.
Breakfasts Included: 4.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 2.
Hotel (2 nights),homestay (2 nights).
Age: min 12.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Complimentary Airport Arrival Transfer.
Hilltribe village visit.
Hilltribe - 3 days trek.
Hilltribe Cultural show.
Complimentary Airport Departure Transfer.
Itinerary / more information
1 - Chiang Mai Sa-wat dee! Welcome to Thailand. The most vibrant city in northern Thailand, Chiang Mai has many famous temples and an interesting old city area. Renowned for dazzling beauty and extremely welcoming locals, the 'Rose of the North' will leave you spellbound. Chances are, you won't want to leave. Today is an arrival day and you can arrive at any time before the welcome meeting tonight at 6.30pm. An airport arrival transfer is included. This transfer is only valid if arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-trip accommodation through Intrepid. Please provide your arrival details at the time of booking, or at a minimum 15 days prior to travel to organise this. There are so many things to do here - spectacular temples, delicious food, an enormous night market, a picturesque river-front and fantastic shopping, so perhaps arrive a few days early. Chiang Mai is a great place to hire a bicycle, sign up for a Thai cooking class, or loosen those muscles with some traditional Thai massage. After the welcome meeting your evening is free to explore the city as you please. Your local guide will meet you again tomorrow morning. Notes: The trekking route is not fixed and may change due to weather and local conditions. Please bear this is mind.
2 - Hilltribe Trek Check into day rooms this morning to gear up for your trek into the remote surrounding regions. Your first destination is the Karen village of Ban Pong Noi, with a lunch stop at the magnificent Mok Fah Waterfall. On the way, take a detour to Mae Malai local market to pick up fresh food for your trip. After a 1-hour drive, enjoy a relaxing lunch break by the waters of Mok Fah Waterfall, and take a refreshing swim if you desire. The starting point of the 2.8 km, 2-hour trek is Baan Mae Sae, which you'll reach after your break. The trek to Ban Pong Noi is relatively simple, and you'll arrive in the village in the late afternoon. This homestay experience will give you unique insight into life in this rural part of Thailand.
3 - Hilltribe Trek Rise early this morning to take a tour of the village before sitting down to breakfast. Once you've fueled up, begin today's trek and follow a trail through jungle, rice paddies, rotation dry farms, streams, rivers and waterfalls, passing by more Karen villages as you go. The first leg of the trek is steep up and downhill through bamboo forest, with a total walking time of around 3 hours. Make a stop to rest your legs and enjoy a picnic lunch, then carry on for another 2-3 hours until you arrive at a Lahu village, your base for the night. Today's total walking distance is approximately 11 kilometres.
4 - Hilltribe Trek Start the day with breakfast then take a walk around the village to see the locals going about their morning routines. You'll have the chance to buy some local handicrafts - spending your money on community enterprises directly can help support community development. Begin today's trek through a picturesque landscape of farmland and jungle (approximately 3-4 hours) to a Thai village for lunch, where you'll link up with your transport. From here you'll return to Chiang Mai (approximately 2 hours). This afternoon you may like to treat yourself to a well-deserved Thai massage. This evening, perhaps head down to the buzzing Chiang Mai Night Bazaar - we suggest getting your hands on some kao soy, yellow wheat noodles in a curry broth, traditionally served with chicken or beef.
5 - Chiang Mai This adventure comes to an end today. There are no activities planned for the final day and you are able to depart the accommodation at any time. A transfer to the airport for your departure flight from Chiang Mai is included.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 December 2023 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans