From 10/12/2023 to 22/12/2024
Start your adventure in Hanoi, discovering the Old Quarter, delicious food and gorgeous landmarks in your free time.
Stay in a traditional homestay for one night – the perfect way to access the remote parts of Vietnam and get a real glimpse into local life.
You’ll also be treated to home-cooked meals, among breathtaking mountain scenery.
Hike through the rolling rice terraces, waterfalls, mountains and lush green hills of Sapa and you’ll quickly realise why this has become an iconic image of Vietnam.
Discover Sapa town on a walking tour with a local guide, tasting local snacks along the way – a trademark of the local lifestyle.
Meet a community of hilltribe people who have been in Vietnam for over three centuries.
Having emigrated from China, the H'mong settled in Cat Cat Village and will invite you to learn about their rich culture.
By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, Vun Art.
Donations help them empower people with disabilities in Vietnam by providing vocational training and employment opportunities.
Breakfasts Included: 3.
Lunches Included: 1.
Dinners Included: 2.
Homestay (1 night),Hotel (1 night),Overnight sleeper train (2 nights).
Minibus,Overnight sleeper train,Private vehicle.
Age: min 12.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Itinerary / more information
1 - Hanoi Xin chao! Welcome to Vietnam. If you arrive in Hanoi early, why not dive into the bustling world of bikes and boulevards and explore the French colonial architecture that decorates the laneways. Maybe indulge in a Vietnamese coffee while people-watching from a street-side cafe or step back in time in the Old Quarter. Tonight, you'll be picked up by your local guide from your Joining Point Hotel in Hanoi's Old Quarter at around 7 pm and transferred to the train station, where your guide will give you your tickets for the return train journey to Sapa. Say farewell to your guide before you board the overnight sleeper train bound for Lao Cai. The train journey is unaccompanied, and you may be sharing with locals or other travellers.
2 - Sapa Trek Arrive in Lao Cai in the early morning and travel to Sapa via minibus, passing through dramatic scenery. When you arrive in the hillside town, you'll meet your local guide for a breakfast of bun cha (grilled pork and noodles) among the gorgeous views of rice terraces cascading down the mountain. After, check in into your hotel. Later in the afternoon head to the central market and explore the local produce and handicrafts, all the while enjoying a big tasting of some local snacks along the way. The food snacks amount to a full meal. Try a few favourites that are popular in Sapa and learn about the culture and lifestyle here from your guide.
3 - Sapa Trek This morning after breakfast, set off towards Lao Cai to the starting point of today's trek. From here, you'll follow a narrow trail that leads uphill for about 2 hours, headed for the Sa Seng. At the pinnacle, take in the breathtaking sights of Fansipan Peak and Muong Hoa Valley. Continue to Hang Da Village - a Hmong community nestled at an altitude of 1800 m, which provides an incredible vista of the valley. Soak in the views, then sit down with your group for a satisfying picnic lunch to refuel. Continue to Hau Thao village, enjoying the panoramic views of the valley along the way. When you arrive at the commune, take the opportunity to rest and get to know the local Black Hmong community who live here. The trek then continues to Giang Ta Chai village - your homestay accommodation for tonight. After settling in and introducing yourself to the Giay community, you'll be treated to a homecooked dinner with the locals.
4 - Sapa After a hearty, energising breakfast, you'll set off again on a 2 to 3 hour walk to Su Pan Village. Take the road to Giang Ta Chai village of the Red Dzao minority via the paths between terraces and bamboo forests. Walk past waterfalls, where buffalo might cool themselves from the heat and cross a suspension bridge. Cross Muong Hoa River, then head up to the mountain to visit the last village of the trek - Su Pan. Maybe grab a quick bowl of pho before meeting up with your vehicle for the short drive back to Sapa. Arriving in Sapa, you have a free afternoon to explore the town. Maybe get a massage to sooth your tired muscles, or check out the local market selling produce, herbal remedies, and (very fresh) meats. Pick up any hilltribe crafts you might have had your eye on or sit back with a drink while you look over the misty mountains. Tonight, you'll take another overnight train back to Hanoi.
5 - Hanoi Your adventure ends at Hanoi train station in the early morning (around 5 am). The rest of the day is free for you to soak up the grace of this dynamic city in modern Vietnam. If you'd like to extend your stay or need help booking additional accommodation, just speak to your booking agent.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 December 2023 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans