Mount Toubkal Trek
From 05/05/2024 to 05/10/2024
Strap on your hiking shoes and summit the highest peak in North Africa – Mount Toubkal – with your local expert guide leading the way.
Get a real taste of adventure on your trek through the rugged Atlas Mountains and marvel at the spectacular scenery at every turn with views across the mountain ranges, Sahara Desert and Atlantic coast.
Experience local life after hiking to your accommodation in a traditional gite (mountain house) in an Amazigh village nestled high in the Atlas Mountains.
Enjoy a comfortably paced trekking trip – this trip is designed for hikers of all abilities, allowing less experienced trekkers to tackle this fantastic mountain peak and discover a passion for hiking, mountain climbing and exploring.
Embrace the vibrant souqs, sights, sounds and smells of Marrakech on a walking tour of the medina and visit to Bahia Palace.
With your local guide leading the way, you'll uncover all the best spots and learn more about the culture.
By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, Education for All.
Donations help them support girls in the High Atlas Mountains through secondary school, bringing a generation of women out of the cycle of illiteracy, poverty and early marriage.
Breakfasts Included: 6.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 4.
Hotel (2 nights),Mountain Gite (2 night),Mountain Refuge (2 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Imlil to Aroumd guided trek.
Guided acclimatisation hike.
Imlil to Mount Toubkal Basecamp guided hike.
Mount Toubkal guided summit trek.
Marrakech - Medina walking tour.
Marrakech - Palais Bahia.
Toubkal Base Camp to Imlil guided hike.
Itinerary / more information
1 - Marrakech Salaam Aleikum! Welcome to Morocco. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm tonight, where you'll meet your fellow trekkers and trip leader. After, you might like to join your leader on a jaunt to Djemaa el-Fna Square in the centre of the medina. Huge crowds converge at night to see the singers, drummers, fortune tellers, dancers and bustling street food bazaars all vying for attention here. This square is one of the largest public meeting places in the world, so you're sure to find something that catches your eye tonight.
2 - Aroumd Rise and shine early today for breakfast and a group meeting at 8 am. Your leader will go through everything you need to know about today's trek before you set off into the mountains. Leave Marrakech behind and drive across the plains towards the ancient marketplace of Tahanaoute, with awesome views of valleys and the Atlas Mountains along the way. Arrive at Imlil, a mountainous village 1740 metres above sea level, then take a 50-minute hike to your mountain base in the village of Aroumd, 2000 metres above sea level. In the afternoon, stretch your legs with a gentle orientation walk around Aroumd. Your accommodation tonight is a mountain gite - a traditional village house. Rooms are furnished in the Amazigh style, with low couches (which can be used as beds), tables, carpets and cushions. On warm nights it's often possible to sleep out on the terrace under the stars!
3 - Aroumd Today, explore Aroumd on some of the local trails with your group. Get to know the terrain and acclimatise your body for the challenge of the summit ahead. Today's main hike will depend on the weather and the group's ability and willingness. Acclimatisation hikes are quite slow, with a relaxed pace. Wherever your trip leader chooses, you'll have the chance to enjoy the beautiful Moroccan countryside, where children run freely through the valleys and farmers tend to their plots of land. Donkeys provide a mode of transport for both young and old, with stony pathways winding through the mountains to villages hidden from the main roads. When you arrive back in your gite, tuck into a hearty dinner and rest up for tomorrow's challenge.
4 - Mt Toubkal Base Camp This morning you'll begin your ascent of Mount Toubkal - North Africa's highest peak. From Aroumd, the trail crosses the floodplain of the Ait Mizane Valley, before climbing steeply in a zigzag up the mountainside. Along the way, pass the pilgrimage site of Sidi Chamarouch, home to the tomb of the local marabout (Muslim holy man). Only Muslims are permitted to cross the bridge and approach the large white stone that serves as a shrine. From here, climb steeply through a series of switchbacks and traverse the flank of the valley above the river. Arrive at Toubkal Base Camp (3207 metres above sea level) and enjoy a hearty dinner and make sure you get plenty of sleep before the big ascent tomorrow.
5 - Summit day Embrace an early start this morning as you'll tackle the rocky terrain that leads to the summit of Mount Toubkal. At 4167 metres above sea level, this is truly the roof of North Africa. Take in the beautiful silence of the morning while you make the final climb, which can involve some scrambling. Your effort is rewarded by superb views from the summit, which on a clear day can include the entire Atlas Mountain range, the Atlantic coast to the west and the Sahara Desert to the east. After a rest at the summit and time spent marvelling at the view, descend to Base Camp. You'll fuel up with a hearty lunch before heading back to Aroumd, where your local host will be waiting to welcome you back with a homecooked dinner to celebrate your achievements in the High Atlas Mountains.
6 - Marrakech After breakfast, take one last glimpse at the valley and marvel at those high summits you conquered in last couple of days. Then head back to Imlil and make your way back to Marrakech. In the afternoon, embark on a guided walking tour of the medina, including souqs devoted to different trades such as pottery, woodwork, carpets or spices. Then, continue to the 19th-century Bahia Palace and spend some time admiring the architecture. The rest of your time in the city is free for you to make your own discoveries. If you're keen to experience a traditional Moroccan bath, your leader can advise you where to find the nearest hammam. If you've enjoyed your taste of Moroccan cuisine so far, maybe indulge your inner foodie with a Taste of Marrakesh Urban Adventure tour.
7 - Marrakech Your adventure ends after breakfast this morning. If you wish to spend more time in Marrakech, just speak to your booking agent.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 December 2023 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans