Best of Argentina, Uruguay & Brazil
From 04/03/2022 to 24/12/2023
Soak up the cosmopolitan charms of Buenos Aires and explore the sights of its historic city centre on foot.
Spend three days at a working estancia (farm) in Uruguay, where you can spend your time getting involved in farm work, riding horses or simply relaxing in the sun.
Enjoy incredible home-cooking and hospitality during your estancia stay, and learn about Uruguay’s gauchos – legendary cowboys.
Stop in colourful Colonia del Sacramento, where vintage cars line the streets and an old drawbridge leads to the UNESCO-listed Old Quarter.
The mighty Iguazu Falls straddles the border between Argentina and Brazil, and you’ll cross the border to see it from both countries.
Breakfasts Included: 8.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 4.
Hotel (5 nights),Estancia (3 nights),Overnight Bus (1 night).
Plane,local bus,ferry,overnight bus.
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 16.
Buenos Aires - Leader-led orientation walk.
3-night stay on a working estancia including meals and activities.
Iguazu Falls - Tour of the Brazilian side of the falls.
Iguazu Falls - Tour of the Argentinian side of the falls.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Buenos Aires Bienvenidos. Welcome to Argentina. Your Lonely Planet Experience begins with an orientation walk around Buenos Aires’ Microcentro district at 1 pm. Your leader will be waiting in the lobby of your joining point hotel. Pass by historic buildings along the Avenida de Mayo, including the Casa Rosada (Argentina's government house) and perhaps have a coffee in the traditional Cafe Tortoni. Stroll around the picturesque streets of San Telmo and its antique markets. Attend a group welcome meeting at 6 pm to prepare for the rest of your adventure.
Day 2 - Colonia del Sacramento Today cross the Rio de la Plata (River Plate) to Colonia del Sacramento by ferry (approximately 1.5 hours). On arrival, enjoy free time to explore this charming colonial city, known as the oldest in Uruguay. The World Heritage-listed Barrio Historico (Old Quarter) is a great place to start. Stroll down the cobblestone streets and rub shoulders with locals as they sip their yerba mate (tea). Listen to the noisy parakeets in the Plaza Mayor, or comb Colonia’s small museums. For great views over the city, climb to the top of a 19th-century lighthouse that’s still in operation.
Day 3 - Estancia Stay Today is a long travel day. Take a comfortable local bus from Colonia to Montevideo (approximately 2.5 hours). From Montevideo it's a further 5-hour journey to Tacuarembo by bus. The bus has reclining seats and you'll be provided with a typical Uruguayan snack, but as the bus doesn’t stop it's also recommended that you bring some extra snacks at your own expense. From Tacuarembo, take a 1-hour truck and 4WD journey to the ranch, where you can get to know your hosts.
Day 4-5 - Estancia Stay Spend a few days experiencing life on a working Uruguayan farm. Although you’re welcome to relax and explore your surroundings at your leisure, you can also get involved wirh day-to-day jobs around the ranch. As a working farm, the digs aren’t fancy, but the incredible surroundings and hospitality are something special. Enjoy three home-cooked meals a day and the chance to ride horses, in true gaucho (cowboy) style.
Day 6 - Overnight Bus In the afternoon, bid farewell to your hosts and cross the border to Concordia in Argentina. Board a 12-hour overnight bus to Puerto Iguazu.
Day 7 - Foz do Iguazu (Brazilian side) As soon as you arrive at Puerto Iguazu bus station this morning, take a minivan across the border into Brazil and head straight to the national park to witness the majestic Foz do Iguacu/Iguazu Falls. After some time spent admiring this force of nature, head to your hotel in Foz do Iguacu. Enjoy free time for the rest of the day.
Day 8 - Iguazu Falls (Argentinian side) Return to Argentina today to see Iguazu Falls from a different angle. Following a series of boardwalks, it’s possible to get so close to the thundering waters that you can almost touch them. At over two-kilometres long, Iguazu Falls are made up of over 270 separate cascades, with some reaching up to 80 metres in height. For a more exhilarating experience, take an optional Zodiac boat ride to the base of the falls! In the afternoon return to your accommodation in Foz do Iguacu in Brazil.
Day 9 - Rio de Janeiro Take an included flight to Rio de Janeiro. Settle into your hotel room then head out with your leader for an orientation walk. The remainder of the day is free for you to explore at your own pace. Maybe head to Copacabana or Ipanema Beach or, if the time of year is right, check out a soccer game at the famous Maracana Stadium. You might like to take the tramcar up to the hillside neighbourhood of Santa Teresa or head up Corcovado Mountain, where you’ll find sweeping views over Rio from the foot of the Christ the Redeemer statue.
Day 10 - Rio de Janeiro Your Lonely Planet Experience comes to an end after breakfast.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 07 December 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Tell us about your travel plans