Highlights of Vietnam
From 08/08/2020 to 30/12/2020
5 lunches (including Be My Guest).
First class travel Highlights.
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals.
Luxury air-conditioned coach or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted.
Optional Experiences and free time.
All porterage and restaurant gratuities.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
An expert Travel Director and separate Driver.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - ARRIVE HANOI (2 NIGHTS) Relish the warm embrace of Vietnam and her welcoming people, who will touch you with their humility and entrepreneurial spirit throughout your journey across this intoxicating land. Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel before meeting your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception with drinks and local appetisers.
Day 2 - HANOI SIGHTSEEING This morning is dedicated to the revolutionary leader who fanned the flames of Vietnam's independence. We begin our day with a visit to the final resting place of "Uncle Ho", the imposing Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum. A short walk from here, we'll find Ho Chi Minh's house on stilts, where we'll 'Dive Into Culture' exploring the grounds surrounding the humble abode of Vietnam's most famous son. We'll continue to the Temple of Literature, the first university for the sons of Mandarins, to gain insights into Hanoian culture. This afternoon, we'll embark on a cyclo tour, weaving through the lively Old Quarter past colourful shopfronts and street food vendors. Enjoy an evening at leisure or consider joining one of our recommended Optional Experiences to watch a show that uses the ancient art of water puppetry to story-tell the daily lives of Vietnamese people.
Day 3 - HANOI - HALONG BAY CRUISE We leave the busy streets of Hanoi behind, bound for the serenity of Halong Bay where we'll board a traditional-style Vietnamese Junk boat. The limestone karsts and tropical islets rising up from the emerald waters provide an ethereal backdrop for our leisurely cruise. After lunch on board, we'll take a small boat transfer to the Tien Ong Cave and Cua Van Fishing Village, whose residents still live in traditional floating houses. We return to our Junk boat for a cooking demonstration with the chef or enjoy a mesmerising sunset on the top deck before dinner and a peaceful overnight stay in this UNESCO-listed natural wonder.
Day 4 - HALONG BAY - HANOI - DANANG - HOI AN (3 NIGHTS) The graceful practice of T'ai Chi eases you into your day as is the local custom. Join a 'Local Specialist' on the deck of the Junk boat for a morning class in exquisite natural surrounds. You'll have time for an early morning swim at one of Halong Bay's quiet beaches and, if you're feeling energetic, a brisk walk to catch one last view of scenic Halong Bay before your drive to Hanoi Airport to catch your flight to Danang. On arrival, transfer to your hotel in Hoi An.
Day 5 - HOI AN SIGHTSEEING 'Dive Into Culture' this morning, embarking on a walking tour around the ancient town of Hoi An. Embrace its charm of yesteryear - the narrow lanes, colourful marketplaces and ancient temples providing insights into the Vietnam of old. See the old merchant houses and 400-year-old Japanese Covered Bridge, before visiting Thanh Dong Organic Village where you'll spend some time helping local farmers and learning about their daily working routines. Kick back and enjoy a relaxing foot massage that will set the pace for the rest of the day and evening at leisure.
Day 6 - HOI AN Enjoy some free time this morning to explore Hoi An further or simply relax at your hotel. Your choice of activities this afternoon could see you learn how to craft your own colourful lantern or gain insights into life as a local fisherman (subject to weather conditions). Create a work of art to bring your home luck and happiness, or cast your net wide for the catch of the day - the choice is yours.
Day 7 - HOI AN - HUE (2 NIGHTS) The healthy flavours of Vietnamese cuisine take centre stage as we travel by boat to the Red Bridge Cooking School to learn about the traditional ways of preparing and cooking Vietnamese food. We'll have an opportunity to savour the dishes we've prepared for lunch before returning to Hoi An. This afternoon, our journey takes us over Hai Van Pass en route to Red Beach, where the American Marines first landed in Vietnam during the decades-long war. We continue to Danang for a visit to the Cham Museum before arriving in Hue, the former imperial capital of Vietnam, for our overnight stay.
Day 8 - HUE SIGHTSEEING We'll navigate the busy streets of Hue on the back of a cyclo en route to the UNESCO-listed Imperial Citadel, once home to Nguyen emperors. From here, we drive to Thien Mu Pagoda, Hue's best-preserved religious monument. Boarding a local dragon boat next, we cruise along the Perfume River to the house of the former Princess Ngoc Son where we'll 'Connect With Locals' and meet a family member for a 'Be My Guest' lunch to gain a glimpse of their life in this historic house. The afternoon is ours to enjoy at leisure or consider joining one of our Optional Experiences.
Day 9 - HUE - HO CHI MINH CITY (3 NIGHTS) A short flight this morning brings you to Ho Chi Minh City, where you'll enjoy some time at leisure before lunch at BLOOM restaurant. Your visit will 'Make A Difference' to this Culinary Vocational Training facility developed by the charity 'Aid to Children Without Parents' that provides training to disadvantaged young people in the hospitality industry enabling them to become self-reliant. The iconic sights of Ho Chi Minh are revealed on a walking tour of Dong Khoi Street next. See the Opera House and the former Hotel de Ville. Then, wander up to Notre Dame Cathedral and the Central Post Office, designed by the renowned Gustave Eiffel. Continue to the War Remnants Museum where you'll have a vivid glimpse of the war through the eyes of the locals. Your final stop today is Ben Thanh market, one of the earliest surviving structures in old Saigon, before arriving at your hotel.
Day 10 - MEKONG DELTA The mighty Mekong beckons today, as we take a day trip to My Tho, a nearby Delta market town. We'll transfer to a small sampan boat and navigate the maze of small canals before stopping for a lunch of delicious Mekong Delta specialities. After a short walk along village roads, we'll visit the house of a former soldier, a 'Local Specialist' who survived fighting the Khmer Rouge. Indulge in the family's colourful stories and learn how they make a living crafting rice paper, before returning to Ho Chi Minh City for an evening at leisure.
Day 11 - HO CHI MINH CITY We'll delve into Vietnam's turbulent history from the previous century with a visit to the Cu Chi Tunnels, an immense network of connecting underground tunnels built to protect the Viet Cong guerrillas from the French air and ground sweeps. We'll explore the underground compounds with a VC veteran and gain an understanding of the history of the tunnel, which once served as living quarters and housed hospitals, food and weapons caches. Returning to Ho Chi Minh City by private speedboat, we'll enjoy some free time this afternoon. Later, we'll 'Dive Into Culture' during a visit to the home of the former American Ambassador to South Vietnam in the 1960s, Mr. Henry Cabot Lodge, followed by a Farewell Dinner.
Day 12 - DEPART HO CHI MINH CITY Our discovery of the iconic and unexpected highlights of Vietnam at its end, take a transfer to the airport for your onward flight. Sightseeing Highlights CITY TOUR of Hanoi, Hoi An, Hue and Ho Chi Minh City VISIT Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, the Temple of Literature in Hanoi, the Imperial Citadel in Hue, the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City, the Cu Chi Tunnels VIEW the Opera House, Notre Dame Cathedral, Central Post Office in Ho Chi Minh City SEE Red Beach in Danang
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 16 July 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..