Greek Explorer & Cruise - 14 Days
From 2020-08-09 to 2020-10-25
10 nights 3-4 star hotels, and 3 nights inside cabin on the cruise ship.
13 breakfasts, 4 lunches, and 6 dinners.
One arrival transfer on Day 1 (Athens) and One departure transfer on Day 14 (Santorini) included per booking .
Guided sightseeing in Athens, Olympia, Delphi, Meteora, Thessaloniki, Rhodes, and either Samos or Kusadasi.
Entrance fees for all included sites.
Services of an English-speaking tour guide for all scheduled sightseeing.
A 4-day/3-night Greek Islands cruise, with all meals, drinks package, port taxes, service charges and 2 shore excursions included.
Note: Touring is operated in conjunction with other tourist groups, not solely On The Go.
You will join travellers who booked through other operators for sightseeing each day, some staying in different hotels, and spend your evenings at leisure.
The group can vary in size from 20 - 45 persons.
Guiding may be in an additional language to English.
Itinerary / more information
Day 1 - Athens Welcome to Greece! Transfer to your hotel upon arrival at Athens airport, where you may spend the rest of the day at leisure.
Day 2 - Athens Our adventure begins with a tour of Greece's 3000-year old capital city, named after the goddess Athena. We start with a panoramic tour of important sites including the Panathenaic Stadium (where the first modern Olympics were held in 1896), Temple of Olympian Zeus, and Syntagma Square. Travelling back in time, we then enjoy a guided visit of the Acropolis, the ancient hilltop sanctuary housing the architectural masterpieces of Classical Athens: the Parthenon, Propylaia, Temple of Athena Nike, and Erechtheion. This is followed by a tour of the Acropolis Museum, recently voted one of the best museums in the world. Enjoy the afternoon at leisure in the old Plaka neighbourhood and maybe shop for some souvenirs on Ermou street.
Day 3 - Olympia Athens - Epidaurus - Mycenae - Olympia. After breakfast, we depart for the Peloponnese, the rocky peninsula home to many of Greece's greatest archaeological sites. First we stop at the gaping Corinth Canal, a narrow waterway separating the Peloponnese and mainland Greece. We continue to Epidaurus, a hub of ancient healing with a theater famed for its acoustics.
After a short seaside stop in Nafplion, we visit Mycenae, the ancient civilization described by Homer as "rich in gold" and excavated by Heinrich Schliemann. The site includes the towering Cyclopean walls, the beehive tomb of Agamemnon, and the famous Lion's Gate. In the afternoon, we cross the mountains of the Peloponnese to arrive in Olympia for dinner.
Day 4 - Olympia Olympia - Delphi. Built on the banks of the River Alfios, the lush green sanctuary of Olympia once housed the original ancient Olympic Games, held every four years in honour of Zeus. Today we enjoy a tour through its remains, including the Temple of Zeus, the Palaestra, and Phidias's workshop. We continue to the local museum, one of the richest in Greece with famous works such as the Hermes of Praxiteles. In the afternoon, we head return to mainland Greece, over the Rio-Antirio bridge, to Delphi for dinner.
Day 5 - Delphi Delphi - Kalambaka. The sanctuary at Delphi was revered in antiquity as a center of pilgrimage, home to the Pythia (oracle) in the Temple of Apollo. We will follow the Sacred Way, the path followed by ancient visitors through the sanctuary. We then visit the local museum, where we'll find the bronze Charioteer statue and the omphalos stone. Afterwards, we cross the mountains of central Greece back to the mainland, arriving in Kalambaka for our overnight stay.
Day 6 - Kalambaka Kalambaka - Athens. This morning we visit Meteora, a stunning World Heritage site where a series of towering rock formations shelter a number of sacred Eastern Orthodox monasteries. In the afternoon we return to Athens for the night, briefly stopping at Thermopylae, where King Leonidas and 300 Spartans made a famous last stand against the Persians in 480 BC.
Day 7 - Athens Today offers free time to further explore the delights of Athens. Alternatively a optional tour to Cape Sounion and the temple of Poseidon will be available.
Day 8 - Athens This morning transfer to the port for an exciting day cruise to the Saronic gulf islands. Our first stop will be the picturesque island of Hydra, well know to the international jetset. On Hydra you can explore the little cobble-stoned streets. You'll also have the opportunity to explore the Mitropolis at your own pace. Next, we visit the island of Poros with its clock tower facing the Peloponnese. Last comes Aegina, a weekend retreat for many Athenians. Make sure to buy some pistachios, as Aegina is world-famous for its production. A buffet lunch will be served on board, and on the way back you will have to opportunity to see and participate to some traditional Greek dances!
Day 9 - Mykonos After breakfast this morning return to the port to board the elegant Celestyal Cruises ship and embark on our voyage from Athens to Santorini. We'll arrive in Mykonos this afternoon. Take advantage of the free shuttle service provide by the cruise line to explore the bustling Chora (Mykonos town) until late in the evening.
Day 10 - Patmos Mykonos - Patmos. Our cruise takes us to Turkey this morning, we sail to Kusadasi for an excursion to the town's covered bazaar and the ancient city of Ephesus, where the Temple of Artemis - among the Seven Wonders of the World - was once located.
Returning to the ship this afternoon, we continue back to Greece and the island of Patmos. Here we find the hilltop Monastery of St John and the Cave of the Apocalypse, where the apostle is believed to have witnessed the events of the Book of Revelation, an optional excursion to visit these places is offered.
Day 11 - Rhodes Patmos - Rhodes. In the morning we arrive in Rhodes. An included 'medieval tour' takes in the sights of this World Heritage city, including the Acropolis of Lindos and the Citadel of the Knights (Old Town). Overnight, our cruise continues south to the island of Crete.
Day 12 - Heraklion Rhodes - Heraklion - Santorini. We arrive in Heraklion, the capital of Crete, early this morning, where you have the option of an excursion to the Minoan Palace of Knossos. Immortalized in the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur, this Bronze Age settlement stood at the heart of one of Greece's earliest civilizations. We reach the island of Santorini in the afternoon, where we leave our cruise and transfer to our hotel.
Day 13 - Santorini Enjoy a day at leisure in Santorini, an Aegean paradise widely considered to be one of the most beautiful islands in the world. Explore the whitewashed towns of Fira and Oia with their views of the volcano which birthed the island, watch the spectacular sunset from the black-sanded beaches, or cruise the caldera on a boat tour.
Day 14 - Santorini Our Greek odyssey ends today. Enjoy the morning at leisure before an included transfer to Santorini airport to meet your onward flight.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 12 August 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..