Borneo Family Holiday Comfort
Pack up the troupe and head into Borneo's lush jungles on a family adventure. Keep an eye out for cheeky monkeys on a scenic cruise down the Kinabatangan River, or let the monkeys come to you on a visit to one of Borney's famous animal sanctuaries. Learn about a bygone era with an eye-opening visit to a Dusun village and wander through vast tea plantations in Ranau. Stop off at the idyllic Manukan Island and see the colourful fish living beneath its shimmering waters. Everywhere you look, this island is brimming with unforgettable memories.
Travel Dates: From 29/06/2019 to 04/01/2021
Duration: 10 days
- Watch young orangutans learning to climb for the first time at the Sepilok Sanctuary
Keep your eyes peeled for local wildlife on a cruise down the Kinabatangan River
Soak up the relaxed beach vibe on glorious Manukan Island and get up close to marine life on an included snorkelling trip
Experience the hospitality of the Dusun people while enjoying lunch in a rural village
Explore the unspoilt wilderness of the Kinabalu National Park
Look over rolling green hills of tea with a night at a tea plantation, including a sampling of delicious local varieties
Breakfasts Included: 9
Lunches Included: 4
Dinners Included: 2
Chalet (2 nights),Guesthouse (1 night),Resort (2 nights),Hotel (4 nights)
Age: min 5
Group Size: 2 - 16
Complimentary Airport Arrival Transfer
Mt Kinabalu National Park - Lower trails guided walk
Sabah Tea Plantation - Tea factory tour
Sabah Tea Plantation - Tea tasting
Kinabatangan River - Wildlife spotting cruise
Sandakan - War Memorial
Sepilok - Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre
Labuk Bay - Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary (including transport)
Tunku Abdul National Marine Park - Snorkeling Trip
Kota Kinabalu - Mari Mari Cultural Village
Day 1: Kota Kinabalu
Selamat datang! Welcome to Malaysia. Your adventure begins with a Welcome Meeting at 6pm. If you arrive early, you can immerse yourself in history of this intriguing city between the Borneo jungle and the South China Sea at the Sabah State Museum. You can also visit the Mari Mari Cultural Village, or perhaps explore the islands off Kota Kinabalu, excellent for swimming and snorkelling.
Day 2: Kinabalu National Park
Leaving Kota Kinabalu behind, head for the hills and the unspoilt wilderness of the World Heritage-listed Kinabalu National Park. Stop off en route at a local home in Dusun Village. The Dusun people are wonderfully warm and friendly people, and here you'll sample the local foods with a home cooked lunch. Later, soak up the mountain scenery with a leg-stretching stroll through Kinabalu National Park. There are many walking trails from which you can birdwatch, and remember to keep an eye out for the odd snake or little leech. There's plenty to see and do here. Late in the afternoon, travel by private bus to Sabah Tea Plantation (approximately 30 minutes). Tonight you will stay amongst the grounds of a lush tea garden in a reconstructed longhouse. Rooms are twin/triple-share and have fans and shared bathrooms.
Day 3: Kinbatangan River
After breakfast take part in a tour of the tea factory. From here, head to Kinabatangan River in a private mini van (approximately 5 hours). Arrive at your jungle lodge, located beside the river, which is ideal for taking in the lush surrounds. The Kinabatangan River is a protected forest reserve, containing some of the highest concentrations of wildlife in Borneo. In the afternoon, board a river cruise, hopefully spotting some of the more exotic local creatures. Wild elephants seldom reveal themselves, but crocodiles, macaques, wild orangutan, proboscis monkeys, hornbills and kingfishers are more easily seen. After this short adventure, return to the lodge to enjoy dinner.
Day 4: Kinabatangan River
Be woken by the the call of a Bornean gibbon, or perhaps a hornbill, before a morning cruise down the river. Keep an eye out for proboscis monkeys, Borneo gibbons, long tail macaques and pig tail macaques and see if you can spot the differences between each species. In the evening you get your last chance to take as many photos as you can on a final river cruise. Spend one more night in your lovely accommodation right in the heart of the jungle.
Day 5: Sandakan
This morning, travel to Sandakan (approximately 2.5 hours). On the way you will stop at the Sandakan War Memorial where you will learn about the city's past. The was originally a Japanese Prisoner of War Campy and also marks the starting point of the tragic Sandakan Death Marches, of which 2,400 POWs were forced to walk through the jungles of Borneo. Of this number, only 6 survived owing to courageous escapes. In the afternoon, settle down in your home for two nights; Sandakan, once the capital of British North Borneo, the city has traditionally strong ties with Hong Kong. The Cantonese influence is palpable in the lively harbour-side market, the many Chinese temples and the local cuisine.
Day 6: Sandakan
Today, we head to Sepilok for a day of monkey business and encounters with some of the region's prized orangutans. Please be mindful that human contact must be kept to a minimum and it's essential that you follow the instructions of the park, as directed by your leader. Also included is a new nursery where you can view young orangutans as they learn how to climb on a specially constructed jungle gym. To see more of Borneo’s creatures, there’s the option to visit the newly opened Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Center. Here rescued Sun Bears that have spent many years being mistreated and locked away in cages are cared for, with hopes of rehabilitation and reintroduction into the wild. You will also visit the Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary, where you can watch up close the amazing bachelor proboscis lazing and feeding – an experience that can only be found in Borneo.
Day 7: Manukan Island
Catch a transfer to Sandakan Airport today for a flight to Kota Kinabalu. Keep in mind that the luggage allowance for this flight is only 15 kg, and any excess baggage may incur a further charge. After touching down, a short boat ride (approximately 20 minutes) will take you to Mwanukan Island, just off the coast of Kota Kinabalu. This is one of the larger islands found in the Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine National Park. The first of two days on this island will be yours to explore at your leisure. Perhaps take a stroll along the beach and count starfish in the clear waters. Note: Accommodation at Manukan is on a twin share basis. Some chalets have one twin share room with ensuite bathroom while others have two bedroom chalets with a lounge room. These chalets have one bedroom with an ensuite bathroom, and the other bedroom’s bathroom is located off the lounge room. Due to the limited chalets on Manukan Island we are not always able to provide exactly the same room for each passenger, but we always try to allocate rooms as fairly as possible and we choose to stay on this Island for it's unique and beautiful environment. Please see important notes section below for further information.
Day 8: Manukan Island
Enjoy a snorkelling trip today and be dazzled by a wonderful array of coral and brightly coloured marine life. Please note that weather conditions may impact this snorkelling experience. After snorkelling, the afternoon is free to enjoy. Perhaps soak up the turquoise vistas for another few hours or swim about in this gorgeous corner of the world.
Day 9: Kota Kinabalu
Head back to Kota Kinabalu today by boat and minivan transfer (approximately 40 minutes). You'll then visit the intriguing Mari Mari Cultural Village, nestled deep in the countryside. This trip should take less than an hour and is a rare opportunity to see what the Borneo culture and lifestyle was like in a bygone era. See first hand how the tribes would cook their meals, igniting flames with bamboo and using a blowpipe to hunt. Return to your hotel in Kota Kinabalu later on. Perhaps head out for a final meal with your group to celebrate your Borneo adventure.
Day 10: Kota Kinabalu
The trip finishes today after breakfast and you are free to leave at any time. For those who have booked a flight inclusive package you will be transported back to the airport for your flight home.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 May 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..