SOUTH AFRICA: FROM THE CAPE TO KRUGER
Enthralling game drives, stunning scenery, and fun experiences…this South Africa tour has it all!
Have your camera ready for opportunities to see wildlife in their natural environment. Riding in open-air, safari vehicles, enjoy game drives in Kruger National Park, one of the world’s largest game reserves and home to impala, giraffe, cheetah, spotted hyena, and more. During your game drive in Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park, Africa’s oldest wildlife reserve, watch for the "Big 5"—lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, and Cape buffalo—as well as giraffe, zebra, and wildebeest. Enjoy cruises on the shimmering waters of Knysna Lagoon, home to bird and marine wildlife, and on Lake St. Lucia and estuary, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with hippo, Nile crocodile, and many birds. At Stony Point Nature Reserve, observe the endangered African penguins engage in their daily activities.
In addition to wildlife, you’ll also experience spectacular scenery on this tour through South Africa. Drive along Chapman’s Peak Drive, one of the world’s most scenic drives skirting the rocky coastline, and the scenic Panorama Route, with its dramatic landscapes tracing the course of the mighty Blyde River. Visit Tsitsikamma National Park, tucked between the mountains and the ocean, for a walk through its coastal forest. Marvel at the stalagmites and stalactites at the Cango Caves. Witness rugged rocks, sheer cliffs, crashing waves, and panoramic ocean views at Cape Point, Africa’s southwesternmost point.
All of this and more—including opportunities to learn about local cultures—await you on this South Africa tour for savvy, value-minded travellers.
Destination: South Africa
Travel Dates: From 20/10/2019 to 16/11/2019
Duration: 14 days
- Breakfasts Included: 13
Lunches Included: 4
Dinners Included: 4
Breakfasts Included: 13
Lunches Included: 4
Dinners Included: 4
1 CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA.
Welcome to South Africa! Check in to your hotel and prepare for a fascinating journey.
2 CAPE TOWN.
This morning, a WALKING TOUR introduces you to Cape Town's famous and historic landmarks. Stroll along Government Avenue to see St. George's Cathedral, Parliament, and much more. Next, you'll enter The Company's Garden, a beautiful oasis in the city, en route to Green Market Square, which at different times has been a fruit and vegetable market and even a slave market. Next, visit Table Mountain for a CABLE-CAR RIDE to the top (weather permitting) for stunning views of the city and its surroundings. In the afternoon, take a scenic drive south through the fishing village of Hout Bay before ascending Chapman's Peak Drive, which skirts the rocky coastline and is one of the most scenic drives in the world. Continue on to CAPE POINT NATURE RESERVE for stops at the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point, the southwesternmost point on the African continent. Here, take a FUNICULAR RIDE to the steps of the old lighthouse for spectacular panoramic views. Return to Cape Town and enjoy the evening at your leisure. (B) NOTE: Each year, generally in early August, the Table Mountain cableway closes for yearly maintenance. During this time, we will visit Signal Hill for views over the city.
3 CAPE TOWN.
Enjoy a full day at leisure for your own discoveries. Perhaps explore the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, take an excursion to the stunning Cape winelands for wine tasting, or cruise to Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela spent 18 of his 27 years in prison. Your Tour Director has suggestions to help you make the most of your day. (B)
4 CAPE TOWN-STONY POINT NATURE RESERVE-HERMANUS-MOSSEL BAY.
This morning, depart Cape Town and drive to STONY POINT NATURE RESERVE to see a COLONY OF ENDANGERED AFRICAN PENGUINS. Known for the unique sound they make, these penguins grow to an average height of two feet and live in burrows and rock crevices along the beach. Stop in Hermanus for independent exploration before reaching Mossel Bay for the evening. (B)
5 MOSSEL BAY-OUDTSHOORN- KNYSNA.
Drive north to Oudtshoorn and stop for a visit of the CANGO CAVES to see the stunning limestone rock formations. You will also visit a local OSTRICH FARM. Continue on to Knysna. (B,L)
Today, take a relaxing CRUISE on Knysna Lagoon to see a variety of bird and marine life. You will have some free time to explore the Knysna waterfront in the afternoon. (B)
7 KNYSNA-TSITSIKAMMA NATIONAL PARK-DURBAN-UMHLANGA.
This morning, visit nearby TSITSIKAMMA NATIONAL PARK and walk through the spectacular coastal forest. Continue on to Port Elizabeth, where you will board your flight to Durban. Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel in nearby Umhlanga for the evening. (B)
8 UMHLANGA-SHAKALAND- HLUHLUWE.
Today, visit SHAKALAND, a replica of a traditional Zulu homestead and living monument to their culture. Here, learn more about Zulu history and see how they hand craft ceramics and brew beer. This afternoon, drive to Hluhluwe. (B,L,D)
This morning, take a GAME DRIVE in Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park, the oldest proclaimed wildlife reserve in all of Africa. The park is home to the "Big 5"-lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, and Cape buffalo. You also have the chance to see giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, and much more! After time to rest, embark on an AFTERNOON BOAT RIDE on Lake St. Lucia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. During the cruise, you are likely to spot hippo, Nile crocodile, and a variety of bird life. (B,D)
Today, drive to eSwatini. En route, stop at a LOCAL MARKET and visit a GLASS FACTORY where glass blowers use recycled glass to create stemware, animals, and more. (B)
11 ESWATINI-KRUGER NATIONAL PARK AREA.
Depart eSwatini and head north for the Kruger area. Enjoy leisure time at your lodge this afternoon in preparation for your day of game viewing in the world-renowned Kruger National Park tomorrow. (B,L,D)
12 KRUGER AREA.
Rise between 5 am and 5:30 am for coffee and tea before your EARLY MORNING GAME DRIVE with an experienced guide. If the timing is right, you might spot some of the big cats after a night of hunting. Spend some time at leisure in the middle of the day. Perhaps book a spa treatment or simply relax at the pool. Be sure to watch for kudu, impala, giraffe, cheetah, spotted hyena, and more on your AFTERNOON GAME DRIVE. As darkness descends, your guide will bring out a spotlight to help you spot nocturnal animals. Return to your lodge for dinner. (B,L,D)
13 KRUGER AREA-MPUMALANGA.
Today, drive along the PANORAMIC ROUTE known for its dramatic landscapes. Along the way, drive through Blyde River Canyon and stop to see GOD'S WINDOW, the THREE RONDAVELS, and BOURKE'S LUCK POTHOLES with its stunning rock formations carved by the Blyde River. (B)
14 MPUMALANGA-PRETORIA- JOHANNESBURG-DEPARTURE.
Drive to Pretoria to see the Voortrekker Monument and Union Buildings. Continue on to Johannesburg, where your tour ends at the airport. Book homebound flights after 4 pm. (B)
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 22 October 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..